How to put weight on my dog

Meant to say, Chudley's Working Crunch is a good cheap weigh gaining food and I use it for a few of the hard to keep wight on dogs as its 26% protein and 15% oil (I think going from memory) but I find it can make the dogs fizzy. If thats the case then I'd use one of the more expensive brands like Pro Plan, Eukenuba, James Wellbeloved or Hills. Just my opinion and having 16 dogs and trying nearly every dog food on the market over the years. My feed shed looks like a bloomin pet shop!! My OH thinks one food for all but is slowly coming round to individual diets after nearly 4 years of me moaning at him!

Here they are, My dog, his mum and older sister, from another litter.
dogs007.jpg

I have a just turned 2 yr old lab who is quite lean looking for a lab but when weighed at the vets he actually comes in at 33kg so sligthly over the recommended weight bracket. However my vet has said that he is happy to actually see a lab in our area at a healthy weight and in such good body condition! (we live in a quite built up area with not a lot of open areas for real exercise for him)

I would say that if your vet isn't worried about him and he is close to the advised weight range then don't worry about him

Just wandering if anyone has any tips to help me put weight on my dog.

He is a labrador retriever, from gun dog/working lines. He will be 2 in march. Has not been nuetered. He is very very active. Wormed regulary and has been given a clean bill of health from the vet. I feed him on Omega tasty chicken, which he loves and every tea time I mix this with our leftovers.

Despite my best efforts he is still very thin on his back end and I was watching him the other day and I could see a couple of ribs.:eek:

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:D

I know it's been a while since this was posted but I have the same thing with my fox red working lab. He's perfectly healthy but I have trouble putting weight on him. He eats hills science diet for large dogs as advised by our vet twice a day with treats and food used as interactive games and in toys. They get treats of chicken breast and fish weekly. ( I have a black lab too ) if I physically fed him anymore I'd risk other issues as he's small. He has excellent working line pedigree too. I have just contacted Hills dog food who do prescription diets to see if they know of anything to help

My little terrier was always a skinny bean, I used to drizzle a little oil over his biscuits, he absolutely loved it and it def helped with his weight :)

Our Welsh Springer is a string bean. Whatever she eats she is still ribby, though you can't see it under her thick coat. It is because she is a worrier. We give her extra fats and oils and she is very healthy although so thin.

We used veg oil and raw egg to add easy calories to our collies diets. Very active farm dogs so used a lot of calories.

We mixed it into two handfuls of boiled rice and meat scraps as well as access to dried at anytime.

Just wandering if anyone has any tips to help me put weight on my dog.

He is a labrador retriever, from gun dog/working lines. He will be 2 in march. Has not been nuetered. He is very very active. Wormed regulary and has been given a clean bill of health from the vet. I feed him on Omega tasty chicken, which he loves and every tea time I mix this with our leftovers.

Despite my best efforts he is still very thin on his back end and I was watching him the other day and I could see a couple of ribs.:eek:

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:D
I have a black gundog Labbidog from field trial lines, He too can be like a hat rack. He's on Dr John's Titanium now, but he's also been on greyhound and urcher food and that kept the weight on him.

Contrary to popular belief, not all Labbidogs are fat pigs. Mine is hard to keep weight on

Reactions: MrC
newrider.com