How to stop saddle slipping?

jennyec

Oct 15, 2007
Im an adult pony owner, ive always had ponies and never owned/loaned anything over 14hh.

Alot of people talk about balance with an adult on a pony ive had my mare since she was 2.5 years shes now 10 and i feel very balanced on her, ive got a girl whos taller than me, but ever so light, coming to work and ride with me for 3 weeks, and when she was riding today my mares saddle kept slipping, its never slipped with me, and even when i straightened the saddle and rode, it wouldnt slip with me.

Shes used to riding bigger finer ponies (and horses), than my chunky new forest, so i think its just balance, but until she finds her balance i want something to help keep the saddle straight.

Will a breast plate be sufficient, ive never used one, which style is best? There seem to be lots of different types!

Jenny

a breastplate wont really help that much but what about your girth ? Is it ekastic on one side? If so its more likely to slip - if not, try a non slip pad under your saddle / numnah - i use those rubber mesh type things that they use on car dashboards, works a treat

you could try a non slip pad under the saddle? not sure which are best but im sure someone else can help you with that! and if you dont want to buy a new one incase it doesnt work you could look for a cheap one on ebay?
Hope this helps!

If it slips with the other rider and not with you, it sounds to me like a rider problem, not a saddle problem. Does she ride with more weight on one side than the other? Is one of her legs stronger than the other, or one stirrup longer? Does she pull the saddle out of place when she mounts?

All that extra gear may make your horse a tad uneasy- My horse would hate it- I ride with a bare back pad -and the best thing I have found is to properly sinch the girth -and wait for your horse to calm down -see if there tense and when they seem relaxed get it snug- ride for a short period of time and get off and recheck -Its similar to retorqing lug nuts on your car- Jess

As others have said it sounds more likely that the rider isn't balanced and is weighting one side more than the other especially as you don't have the same problem.

There are things that you can try like a different saddle cloth or a Pro Choice girth (or similar) which has neoprene backing and elastic on both ends but ultimately it sounds like it's down to the rider.

newrider.com