How to tack up/groom

mistymoon

Jun 8, 2011
Buckinghamshire
I would like to learn how to look after a horse, including how to tack up and groom a horse and would like to find someone in my area who would be willing to teach me. Has anyone else asked for this before? I usually find riding schools don't do this due to health and safety but maybe I could advertise? Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks :smile: xmmx

Your riding school certainly should teach you...they may not do it for free though!! I usually expect customers to be able to tack up themselves as part of their lesson before they ride! Only problem is if you go to a big group ride it is easier for the school to have horse already tacked up.

Thanks eml. The schools I have been to don't offer that service which is a shame. I wish I lived closer to your school! I am just outside of Northampton and hoping to own my own horse one day.

I always got to my lesson to find the horse all tacked up and waiting, I found this very disapointing. I just asked if it was ok for me to arrive early to learn how to tack up, and that was fine, I watched the first couple of times and then had a go under supervision until I could do it myself. They didnt charge me for the time. You wont lose anything by asking.

However, when I did a loan and when I got my own pony all the tack was a bit different and I had to have help again to work out where all the bits and bobs went. But the owner was really helpful in showing me knowing I was a complete novice, and YO still has to check that my bridle is put back together the right way as I seem to be a tack numpty. :wink:

I went to my first rs and asked for lessons. Anywhere where the staff are taking BHS eaxams should be able to teach you. I sent OH there for lessons too. After 2 or 3 lessons I did their BHS stage 1 horse care course. If your school is bhs approved you can surely do this. Or look at websites of other schools near you.
I am a great believer in learning the bhs rules for doing things first.

Just to add I paid for grand daughter to have 3 lessons at the non-bhs rs where she learns. I dont understand why you cant be taught? It usually costs less than a riding lesson as the pony isnt working.
In my case I strayed into it accidentally because I was taught as a small child to keep clear of horses feet - wisdom passed down the generations in my family. So I needed to overcome that fear and learn to pick up feet and pick out the hooves.

Last edited:
Hi Cathy :smile: we did meet up a year or so ago which was a great experience. Thanks for the offer. I will certainly bear it in mind. Can u pm me with some plans? Thanks xmmx

Can you find somewhere that is doing the BHS horsecare exams? OR even the ABRS exams, sign up for those.

None of my RS offered this either.

The way I learnt was to do my BHS exams. Perhaps enquire at your school whether this is something they offer.

You don't even need to take the exam is you don't want to. Just do the care side if you prefer.

At my RS, they run workshops on grooming, tacking up, feeding etc. as well as running 10week BHS stable management courses (you don't have to take the exam at the end). But to be honest, I've learnt far, far more by volunteering one day a week at the yard. They're always glad of an extra pair of hands. And there's the added bonus of getting to know all the horses and ponies really well - and not just the horses you ride.

Thank you everyone for your replies :smile:

It really is appreciated. I have contacted my local RS which is an approved BHS school so hopefully they will reply asap with regards to me learning stable management.

xmmx

Mistymoon, ask around about the BHS Horseowners course, some do it as a theory only but a lot do practicals...it is one of my favourites, good for parents of pony mad kids wanting to buy a pony as well!!

Have you tried Brampton??

OldandNew, we tried this and offered free NVQ1 as an encouragement but found people weren't really interested , perhaps we were just unlucky?!

I was completely exhausted after one half day eml. Heavy work we did as historic stables conserved with no mod cons. If you offer half a day you might get takers. I quite miss it now share horse isnt there to fuss over.

Mistymoon, ask around about the BHS Horseowners course, some do it as a theory only but a lot do practicals...it is one of my favourites, good for parents of pony mad kids wanting to buy a pony as well!!

Have you tried Brampton??

I have looked at their website before eml and it does look like a well run place. Do you have any good experiences that you can pm me about?

Thanks

xmmx

newrider.com