How to tell boss, your taking horse to horspital?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
I've told my supervisor Bailey's going vets on thurs, and I need to take a authorized absence, as I don't wish to use the only day off I have left this year (saving til xmas).. He's going for a rig op, and I find it difficult to explain to a male, as obviously it's a subject close to his own groin:giggle:
What's the easiest way to explain it, without getting embarrassed? I rally don't want to be pulling any sickies, this is a unavoidable situation, and I'd rather be honest about it all, and just let my boss except that like children, horses sometimes needed to go to hospital:help:

Are you able to go to HR or read through your contract to see what your work policy is regarding taking 'compassionate' leave, or any other suitable terminology, that might not mean using annual leave?

Or perhaps type in an email that you would like to have a chat with him about your situation and explain what it is in email so you don't have to go into detail about it to his face - and perhaps include that you appreciate people may not understand how important it is, if they are non horse owners, but that it is a serious situation & risk to your horse that you cannot afford to be absent from.

Cheers! I forgot that I could use that word, I said Gelded.. probably means nothing to someone who knows nothing about horses! I may have to explain it to the other boss, who no doubt, will play thick and assume a magic carpet can take my horse:unsure:?
Some people are put on this earth to try us, I have two at work.. We have 4 supervisors (Yes I know, very confusing!) who cover 3 shifts.. I hope I don't have to explain it to my manager, because he can be very unhelpful.. It might be easier just saying I'm having a root canal, and won't be in:giggle:

Yeah, I would be tempted to lie. Say you have a womens appointment. They are unlikely to ask anymore questions. Just incase they don't see taking your horse to the vets to be castrated as authorised leave of absence.

Be blunt and honest: "My horse has complications and is having to go into hospital to have his nuts lopped off - I can go into more detail if you wish but as I'm sure you will understand, I'd like to be there to hold his hoof for him" :giggle: :giggle:

Well, when he asked how much it would cost, when I told him, he laughed and said, it would be cheaper to turn him into sirloin steaks! I think he sort of understands, but red card for the comment!
Typical sarcastic man!:giggle:

My boss is horsey so I wouldn't have that problem however to an unhorsey boss I would go for the roxy's mum approach!

Blimey your boss is understanding letting you have conpasionate leave for an animal. My hubby's work will only let him have compasionaste for immediate family.

I would have the approach I stated to my boss - he's been pretty good so far & very lenient with me during winter (especially last year at the old yard). I think he would probably say "go, just..... go!" with a tear in his eye!

When my parents separated a couple of years back I didn't come into work the next day & he was fine, I didn't have to take leave or make up for it. Same when there was a problem with my dress for my sister's wedding - he gave me an extra day without any formality. I was very grateful indeed!

Blimey your boss is understanding letting you have conpasionate leave for an animal. My hubby's work will only let him have compasionaste for immediate family.

Mine and hubby's old workplace didn't even like that :giggle: I can remember being sent 'work home' all through my maternity leave and when I was in hospital to have my fourth baby our boss gave us some work to do (paperwork) as we would be 'sitting around doing nothing' and it 'would give us something to do'.

Can anyone guess the real reason we were both made redundant when baby no 5 came along and I wouldn't work through it this time :redcarded:

Anyway back to the OP, personally I would have lied (bad I know) I'd have said it was a woman's appointment or similar. But I think you are very lucky as your boss seems to have tried to be understanding :happy:

It really depends on which boss I talk to.. I know the one's who'll look at me as though a I was asking a really big thing for an insignificant creature, and question it..

Gosh, you are lucky to be able to get off work because of your horse, where I used to work they were even angry and made it clear I was in the "wrong" when a close relative was rushed to hospital and I asked if it would be ok to book the day as a holiday at short notice (was my father so not really an option to not be there for him). My immediate superior was dreadful. Shall never forget their attitude.

I manage lots of people and I would not give them the day off as authorised leave, especially if they had holiday left, regardless of them not wanting to use it or being horsey or not.

You are very lucky to have them agree to it, hope everything goes ok, thoughts are with you:happy:

I only have one day left, due to the bad weather we had back in Jan.. I can't afford to take time off, and its more for the Bradford points than anything else.. I have a clean absentee record, blighted only by the passing of my Oh's Dad.. and there was no way, I was going to use my holidays for that.. It should have been seen as compassionate leave, but they had no compassion..
In protest, I said my piece and took the days as sickies.. they knew his death was sudden, no one could have predicted it, even the day before.. I was in shock, and deeply upset.. I needed time to grieve also, and didn't get it:frown:
This year has been a hard one.. I'm still missing my gran, who died 2 years ago this month too.. When he lost his dad, it opened up old wounds, as I never grieved proper at the time, I still don't think my Oh fully understands me at times..
My boss, who I fell out with on Monday, actually apologised to me yesterday, and had quite a pleasant chat, saying she understood why I'd been stressed.. she wished my horse luck for today, so this is one of those times, where working in a place for a long time (15 years) and being part of a big family (sometimes LOL!) helps in times like these :rolleyes:.. Just wish it had been the same at the funeral..

i'd take the leave. most HR policies do not cater for unpaid leave in such situations (eg. they care for human bereavement, childcare emergencies and the like, not a scheduled in operation on an animal) and I would rather my staff took this as either flexi leave or annual leave.

i always make sure i have a week's leave going spare for things like this (but then I hardly take leave and never go on holiday, anyway)

newrider.com