how to wash off gunky mudfever cream ...

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
where there is not hot water available? i have to wash mudfever cream off pony's legs daily and then reapply the cream and its a bu*er to shift! am currently using hibiscrub but its not going a very good job in getting that icky cream off.

any ideas?

Julia
x

We have a kettle and I've been mixing the hibiscrub with hot water and then cooling it with cold so it's warm/tepid - it's still not great but much better than with the hose.

i'll have to try and boil the somewhat unsafe kettle with the ancient socket at the yard then ....

i was thinking sth like fairy washing up liquid (meant to cut through grease ...) but not too sure that should go on horse's skin ....

Julia

I use dishsoap to bath my horses.. Dawn to be precise, its the same stuff they use to clean birds at oil spills and i find it does a really good job. You would be stripping to coats oils.. but since you are packing an oily substance right back on it should be a problem

can you take a plastic water bottle full of hot water to the yard? would it still be warm enough by the time you get there?
i put a sports top on the bottle so i can squirt water directly from the bottle onto the target area

and if inside i put the leg in an old bucket to collect the water that runs down the leg

very useful, keeps the stable tidy and means i don't have to be outside inthe weather cleaning off

i'll have to try and boil the somewhat unsafe kettle with the ancient socket at the yard then ....

i was thinking sth like fairy washing up liquid (meant to cut through grease ...) but not too sure that should go on horse's skin ....

Julia

That's our yard kettle :D , I've also bought some Oilatum from Boots so we have one bucket with a hibiscrub/water combination and one with Oilatum/water in it, scrub gently using water brush - I tried sponges but they've just got covered in bits of coat and scabs - truly yeuch -, the warm water seems to shift the majority of the gunk. Final wash is done with Oilatum which I use myself when I've got eczema, I'm using a very weak solution of it on her legs (up to her hocks really). The other thing that I did yesterday was to comb her legs with a mane comb, loads of scabs and fur came off, with the gunk, so there was less to wash.

where there is not hot water available? i have to wash mudfever cream off pony's legs daily and then reapply the cream and its a bu*er to shift! am currently using hibiscrub but its not going a very good job in getting that icky cream off.

any ideas?

Julia
x

why do you have to wash it off daily? i apply mud fever cream and leave it on, when its almost all worn off i wash with warm water (i think the thermos flask seems a good idea but you may need a few) and then i reapply it.

how long does the cream stay on for? i apply once a fortnight! then it has worn off and i'm not putting cream on old cream.

I got 95% of the gunk off yesterday, hosed and scrubbed with cold water (from the hose), then rubbed in neat Hibiscrub and left. Lathered it up with warm water and water brush, hosed off and then rinsed with warm water with weak solution of Oilatum. I think it was the lathering up that was the main difference and it seemed to remove more gunk although she wasn't totally gunk free this morning.

I'm trying to get her gunk free so that I can see what's left to clear and if necessary we can try and clip her legs tonight, fellow livery has some very quiet clippers.

newrider.com