How understanding are your partner's/ friends/ bosses/ people in your life?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
About you spending time with your horses/ down the yard?

If you prioritise your ponies over other things?

About how hard work horses are and why you are often a bit cream crackered?

Do they understand it all or sort of just go along with it? For me horses are definitely a unique lifestyle but I can't really see myself any other way now.

Just curious really ☺️

My OH is totally not an animal person. He's also very allergic to most furries, but not to our dog, a non shedder. He has been a diamond from the start, way back when we were first married, though I didn't own or ride then. He's never complained about the time, money or the endless litany of horse adventures, woes, and ailments. He loved Ramsey (from a distance!) and came to the yard on the day we let him go. He came with me when I viewed Hogan, and when I decided to take him, in an aside, I said "Am I mental? At my age?" He said "Yes, but you've always been mental when it comes to horses. Just tell her we'll have him, I'm dying for a coffee." I've gone on a bit here, but I don't give him credit for his patience and generosity of spirit when it comes to my obsession. He's been a star.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
My family don’t really understand the time it takes, when I was injured a few years ago mum came and helped me poo pick and was astonished that I’d be picking up a barrow full twice a day, she was surprised horses poo so much! But they’ve only ever kept dogs and cats. They don’t really understand having to go see to them twice a day either and why that means I can’t just nip to their house (over an hour away) for dinner.
My ex husband was good about it, but he knew nothing different with me, he also had no interest so didn’t pay any attention to it. He did show up the day Bo was put down but only because my friend called him and told him he had to or deal with her wrath, I wish she hadn’t bothered. He never met Hank, even though I had him for 6 weeks before hubby left.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
My brother isn't really an animal lover. He tolerates them. Hes prefers his machinery, but he knows my horses are my hobby, no point in them sitting in the field doing nowt, so he will say no we'll do that tomorrow you go for your ride. But then he expects my full cooperation the next day if thongs need doing.

When i was at the yard they never knew what time id be home as id go straight from work to the yard, so it use to frustrate them, as mum would wait till i was home before putting dinner on, which brother hated. Often didnt eat till 9pm. These days she knows im back when she sees me ride round the house. So easier to plan.
They do hate that it takes mimimum of 3 hours just to exercise two horses. Thats on a good day. If i need to do things with them its 4 hours. I have noticed that since having the boys home im not spending that same time exercising that i used to when i was at the yard, i think thats the downside of having them home. I do seem less commited. Which mum did say she thought might happen. I think its a combination of trying to please them hich has made me like it.

Reactions: MrA and Huggy
My daughters don’t seem to understand that I can’t just drop everything and go see them, they didn’t get that a day out required planning and at least a little bit of notice.
Mr KR is not the least bit horsey, but, he loves Belle (he pretends he doesn’t) and he also is kind of resigned to the fact that I can spend hours at the yard! He’s brilliant if I need any help with any yard chores and will always help out if I ask him too, I tell him it’s his fault anyway as he booked a ‘pony trek’ on our honeymoon because he knew I loved horses, that was what got me back into horses, so his fault 😂

My husband is very supportive and has never complained about the time or money that my horse takes up. My kids have only ever known that life revolves around Ben and they automatically incorporate him into everything we do. I think they all understand that I need my 'me' time and would be a grumpy mummy if I didn't get out for a couple of hours horsey time everyday.

Mr T lives and breathes them as I do - it couldn't be any other way for us as we've always done more or less everything hobby wise together. It's all his fault anyways, when we were in Cornwall back in 2003 on holiday he wouldn't let it rest until we'd booked a hack. I had mentioned every now and again how much I would love to ride again properly (only had odd lessons as a kid). So he frog marched me to the nearest riding school and made me book us a hack together. Well, you should have seen him! He loved it immediately (which was kind of convenient really!). I remember him being in front of me on the ride and he was talking away to the lass leading him saying "oh I like this, I think we'll have to consider getting a couple of our own". Lol she must have thought him bonkers. I've never seen him so pleased and happy, it could easily have been that he didn't like it or wasn't even bothered either way! He's allergic to cats and dogs but, the cats we have are semi feral and only ever come into the garage and utility room, so it's fine. He loves them and Monster is very much "his cat".
My own family are very understanding of the horses as they've all grown up with pets and my mum instilled into them that the animals have to be put first and cared for, no slacking on that score! Mr T's family sadly care nothing for animals and have never understood why I put the horses first. I stole mr trews and whisked him away to a life of animal drudgery after all :rolleyes: . My oldest friends know the animals come first and have long since given up trying to persuade me that dinner, drinks and mad weekends away should be on the agenda. They even address cards to me and the "various animals".:D

I'm always saying how I'd love to get a companion and some land and just keep them at home or very close by. I just love being outdoors with them even if I'm doing nothing and I love the routine they give me. When Ale is sick my bosses have always been pretty kind about me needed to take some time off at short notice, I always make it up but I appreciate this.

My boyfriend is not horsey, he does visit Ale occasionally, more often in summer and help out sometimes if I need it. I said we could get a Shetland one day for him and he said he didn't want one 🤣 I think it's so weird some people are wired where animals are not the best thing ever. Of course it's perfectly normal but even after a long day I just love sorting the animals, gives me purpose.

My mum is horsey so understands more and they never used to mind what time I got in, better that I was down the yard than up to no good! My brother used to hate the smell though 🤣

I'm always saying how I'd love to get a companion and some land and just keep them at home or very close by. I just love being outdoors with them even if I'm doing nothing and I love the routine they give me. When Ale is sick my bosses have always been pretty kind about me needed to take some time off at short notice, I always make it up but I appreciate this.

My boyfriend is not horsey, he does visit Ale occasionally, more often in summer and help out sometimes if I need it. I said we could get a Shetland one day for him and he said he didn't want one 🤣 I think it's so weird some people are wired where animals are not the best thing ever. Of course it's perfectly normal but even after a long day I just love sorting the animals, gives me purpose.

My mum is horsey so understands more and they never used to mind what time I got in, better that I was down the yard than up to no good! My brother used to hate the smell though 🤣
Lol to your brother hating the smell! We all know it's the best smell ever :D

Reactions: MrA and Huggy
My OH is pretty understanding in a totally hands off way. I'm not sure he'd recognise P at all :D But I don't particularly need or want an involved partner - it's my time away from a busy job, home life and we're both quite independent from each other.

I do try to make sure the horse doesn't always first though and we do unrelated things as just the two of us. Or did, pre CV times - hopefully we'll get back to it!

Sometimes my life revolves around the horse, sometimes the horse resolves around life.

Reactions: Huggy
My brother isn't really an animal lover. He tolerates them. Hes prefers his machinery, but he knows my horses are my hobby, no point in them sitting in the field doing nowt, so he will say no we'll do that tomorrow you go for your ride. But then he expects my full cooperation the next day if thongs need doing.

When i was at the yard they never knew what time id be home as id go straight from work to the yard, so it use to frustrate them, as mum would wait till i was home before putting dinner on, which brother hated. Often didnt eat till 9pm. These days she knows im back when she sees me ride round the house. So easier to plan.
They do hate that it takes mimimum of 3 hours just to exercise two horses. Thats on a good day. If i need to do things with them its 4 hours. I have noticed that since having the boys home im not spending that same time exercising that i used to when i was at the yard, i think thats the downside of having them home. I do seem less commited. Which mum did say she thought might happen. I think its a combination of trying to please them hich has made me like it.
I think that when you keep your horses at home you do tend to ride a lot less. Whereas on a yard, you are there (after mucking out) specifically to exercise them and tend to stay focused on that aspect. I couldn't believe just how little I ended up riding Storm when we first brought her home.

My OH is totally not an animal person. He's also very allergic to most furries, but not to our dog, a non shedder. He has been a diamond from the start, way back when we were first married, though I didn't own or ride then. He's never complained about the time, money or the endless litany of horse adventures, woes, and ailments. He loved Ramsey (from a distance!) and came to the yard on the day we let him go. He came with me when I viewed Hogan, and when I decided to take him, in an aside, I said "Am I mental? At my age?" He said "Yes, but you've always been mental when it comes to horses. Just tell her we'll have him, I'm dying for a coffee." I've gone on a bit here, but I don't give him credit for his patience and generosity of spirit when it comes to my obsession. He's been a star.
Hahahaa love it " just tell her we'll have him" hehehee.

• Haha
newrider.com