How would you describe your horse in an advert?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Following on from the adverts thread. How do you think you would describe them.

@Kpnut said it's better to say what they are suitable for. That got me thinking, who does mine suit. If it's not me that's a big hiccup. :p

I would be in a dilemma to describe mine I think. It's like having two!
Most of the time, laid back and lazy need reminding to go forwards. Takes confidence from the rider for hacking solo. Can be strong in company. Good with traffic. Sensitive. Blah blah blah.
But, can be a real handful when panicked. Ie a runner. (work in progress)
The experienced / confident / competent rider won't want something laid back and lazy. But I wouldn't put novice on her.

Hmm. Interesting really, cos I do really think horses behave differently for different folk. But then again, there are certain aspects of their horseonality that always shine through no matter who is on board.
Think I would describe mine as a little spooky at times, so therefore needs a kind, calm confident rider (me kind, just not confident lol). I would also say willing, sensitive and once she knows you very loyal. Mind you, she isn't ridden any more, only by me pootling - and that hasn't happened in an eon!

ooh i like these games :)

Brook, rising 5 year old Highland Mare. 14hh grey dun. Forward going off the leg but not fizzy, very willing, sweet and eager to please. Hacks out alone or in company but done minimal schooling due to her age. She is beginning lateral work, understands inside bend and carries herself naturally very well . Brook is a genuine, quiet natured pony however she can be spooky and reactive at times although has never done anything awful, she needs to take confidence from her rider out hacking, she isn’t confident in busy traffic and doesn’t like tractors. Brook is the easiest pony to have around, she will stable or live out and doesn’t mind if she has company or not. She is good with the farrier, to catch, loads and travels well and has been out to several RC clinics. Lovely flowing paces and moves completely straight. An athletic mare by RHS winning Stallion Moss Side Dorloch.

Skye, 14 year old Highland Mare. 14.1hh grey. Skye is the most genuine and bombproof pony you could wish to meet. Anyone could ride her and she would bring them home safely. She would be wonderful for RDA, absolutely nothing phases her. 100% in all traffic and never spooky, she loves to hack and will go out alone or in company all day long. Skye can be left in the field for weeks and is the type you can just jump aboard and she will stay the same. Skye will do a nice prelim test but schooling is not her favourite thing, she will also happily pop round a small course of jumps. Skye can be lazy and is not the most forward going ride but will walk, trot and canter obediently however prefers to go at her own pace. Skye does not like to be stabled and 24/7 turn out is better for her as she has very mild arthritis in her hocks. She also has mild sweetitch which only affects her mane. Skye is a typical Highland and lives for her food, she can be bargy when food is around and grumpy around her field mates.

Pip. 10 year old miniature Shetland gelding. Piebald 34”. Pip is every child’s dream and is 100% on the leadrein. He is forward going and has a cheeky personality but always looks after his little rider. He loves nothing more than doing games, races and popping over little jumps. He hacks out on the lead rein and nothing bothers him. Pip is not suitable to go off the leadrein. Pip has been a prolific winner in the showring with many first places to his name and several championships. Pip is a very easy pony to have around but can be keen on mares; he is not a rig. Pip can be anxious if tied up and left alone but loves attention and is 100% to catch,handle, bath, blow dry by small children.

and none of them are for sale :D

Sox - Walking vets bill!!:D

Seriously though. Sox 17hh TB gelding, very flashy boy! Owned for the last 4 years. He is used to all traffic including farm machinery , seen some farm animals ( unsure of pigs) but ok with sheep and cows, can sometimes spook, not in a nasty way, hacks alone or in company. He is a very sensitive though genuine boy who takes confidence from his rider, though he really tries hard to please and sometimes tries to hard and gets himself all upset! He is eager to learn though he does struggle with his schooling due to been green. Needs a lot of reassurance he is doing the right thing but never naughty. Sox is the type of horse you could work everyday or every month, he wouldn't care and doesn't change. He enjoys his jumping but again lacks confidence however once he has gained confidence he will happily jump 3ft 3. Can be grumpy in the stable at times. Having been a racehorse sox does crib quite badly he also can be very anxious at times. He does have a few medical issues though. PM me for more information. No time wasters/ Loans/ swaps :p:D

Oscar: 13.2 Welsh Section C. Talented jumping pony.

Oscar is a fun, enthusiastic pony who loves to jump and also has lovely paces. He is ideal as a second pony for a confident young rider.

He has attended multiple pony club rallies, clinics and camps. He hacks first, last or solo and is good in traffic and with dogs etc.

Oscar is an experienced competitor: He has competed ODE up to 80cm and SJ up to 90cm. Dressage scores are consistently in high 60s and have been in the low 70s. He is a careful over coloured poles and rarely touches a pole. He is bold cross country without getting strong. Has competed for PC area teams and at Equifest with previous owner.

Oscar is very friendly and loves attention. He is easy to catch, load, shoe, bath, plait and clip. He never bites or kicks out at people or other horses.

Oscar can be silly when fresh and needs regular riding. He also needs a confident, competent rider as he can recognise when he is carrying a novice and just starts cutting corners, breaking gait or trying to take the rein. With a more experienced rider on board he never bothers even trying and is easy to ride - responsive, light in the hand and willing. He can buck when excited.

Oscar is a firm favourite with everyone because of his personality and ability. He has only had 2 owners since age 2. This is a pony who wins your heart and is only sold when hopelessly outgrown.

Please ring to arrange viewings which will start around 2020 when current owner's feet actually touch the floor on either side when riding!!!!!!

I would write the following:

Ben is an absolute saint of a horse who will give confidence to the most nervous or novice rider. He is completely genuine and doesn't have a bad bone in his body. He prefers the slower side of life, but he schools nicely and has nice paces. He loves his jumping and completely looks after his rider. He will happily jump around a 70cm course and fillers do not bother him. He is safe and sane in wide open spaces and can happily have horses passing him in canter and he won't flick an ear. He loads himself and travels well, always being safe and sensible at every venue I have taken him to. He loves to be groomed and pampered and also does well in the show ring. He has done versatile TREC and horse agility, both of which he excels at. He is a horse of a lifetime and my best friend and I will never part with him.

I was once asked to name my price for him and a man got out his chequebook and said he would give me whatever I wanted. I wonder how much he would have paid? Even for a million pounds I wouldn't part with him. Where on earth would I find another horse like him?

Reactions: misty and Trewsers
A better description for mine.

14.1hh Irish cob. Hairy Sugar Plum Fairy.
Loves people and fusses.
Good traffic, load, bath, clip, trim, waiting at the pub. :)
Laid back placid type. Hacks alone or in company. In front / behind or beside. Can be strong in company in canter- won't overtake or race but is holy crap quick!

Looks to the rider for her confidence, especially in new situations.
Loves boys, had to mention it. Not mareish just looking for nookie.

Two adult camps. Few dressage tests ( she did a slightly different one) :D
Snaffle mouthed or bitless. Can be ridden without tack.

Not so good stuff, can run if panicked. In 15 months done it twice ridden working on it. Oh also knocked a person over in the field. You do not stand in front of her. :oops:

Reactions: SeeingSpots
Toffee has generally good manners - will lead well, back up when requested. Can be asked to wait on his 'bed' for dinner and say please.

He is very much a 'people' pony and loves attention however he does not play well with others and does not want friends. He will happily graze in a mixed herd but he prefers to be the leader of that herd and he doesn't want attention from horses. He likes his own space to graze and be by himself and doesn't require the company of others. He is fine to be turned out alone.

Under saddle he has 3 balanced paces and can work in an outline. Great with pole work but jumping needs work and he won't be doing BSJA any time soon as it's not his favoured thing to do! Toffee can be cheeky in the school and occasionally throw a little buck so needs a quiet, confident rider. Can be ridden in the school alongside horses that are cantering and doesn't bat an eye. Has had ponies doing games (vaults etc) next to him and was steady the whole time.

Toffee enjoys hacking and is a lovely pony to hack. He will hack alone or in company but he can get strong with other horses as he likes to follow. Always stops though and has good brakes. Excellent to hack alone and has seen vans, cars and farm machinery. Can have a slight wobble with large farm vehicles but nothing dangerous, just a jump and then instantly chills when the scary thing has passed. Never bolted, reared or spun. Can canter in an open field and stop when you like however in company has a tendency to try and 'keep up' with those around him and can get quite strong.

Toffee is fantastic to worm (literally just takes it no bother and even lets you stick it back in his mouth ti wipe the excess off the tube), but is sedated for his teeth. He is currently lightly sedated to clip but this is a work in progress and he is doing really well. It won't be long before he's clipped with no sedation. Toffee isn't great with the vet because the vet only ever comes out to sedate and vaccinate so he relates the vet to needles. He isn't a nightmare though, he just needs 5 minutes quiet time with the vet reassuring him and he's fine. Toffee is fab with farrier and stands patiently. He was barefoot but is currently shod on all 4 feet due to becoming quite foot sore whilst hacking.

Toffee is truly the pony of a lifetime. He is exceptionally clean to muck out, generally clean in the field and easy to look after. He is willing and does try and please but he has a cheeky side and will test you but teach you so much. He is my pony of a lifetime. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Kiarone

14.3hh Welsh d x Appaloosa
26yrs old. Diagnosed with PPID sept 16 medicated to control.

Bombproof forwards hack, not a kick along, rides from seat and weight aids. Snaffle mouthed. Been there done it and has several Tshirts to prove it. No faults or vices, barefoot over all terrain. Loads and travels in a lorry or trailer, if trailer requires full trailer no partition. Good to clip trim and shoe. Has his own opinions which he will gladly share should you not take the hint. Safe with children of all ages and dogs when under saddle or tied up. Can be brought in or turned out by anyone. Manners to die for.

Genuine old man, means the world to me which means you cannot afford him ;)

These are making me laugh!

Ziggy, 16 year old grey Irish unpapered Connemara. Handsome, strong, stocky boy, a shade under 14.2 and well up to 12 stone.

A dream pet, easy to catch, sweet and thoughtful to handle, patient with feet and grooming (just as well as he is almost white now), completely obsessed with food and easy to clicker train to do useful things like touching stuff that scares him and retrieving Frisbees. The friendliest most easy going pony to keep, good with others and good on his own, prefers to live out but happy and clean in a stable. Bonny and kind.

An ace hacking pony, excellent on the road and with traffic up to and including feller bunchers and ram raiding shop thieves, but even better off road and off track where he can engage his go-anywhere pony 4HD (4 hoof drive). Has a tendency to rush home if stressed but easily restrained. Just the most fun to hack out.

Completely unschooled but very kind and willing, with good natural balance and the most innocent nature. If you ask right he will try his best - a great pony to improve your riding on as you have to get it right so that he can understand. Never sour or reluctant in the school.

Very playful and frolicsome in the field but hasn't bucked under saddle for 5 years, and when he did it was just once and just joie de vivre.

An enormous natural jump, but ruined by a thoughtless or unkind yard. Ditches and logs are OK but be prepared for fireworks if you try anything else!

Wonderful in hand TREC pony and increasingly good ridden.

The pony of my heart, not for sale :D

Last edited:
[QUOTE="SeeingSpots, post: 3045753, member: sedated for his teeth. He is currently lightly sedated to clip but this is a work in progress and he is doing really well. It won't be long before he's clipped with no sedation. Toffee isn't great with the vet because the vet only ever comes out to sedate and vaccinate so he relates the vet to needles.[/QUOTE]

Mine needs to be sedated for injections and teeth. It's a catch 22 though because she holds her tension in her neck.
He commented last time how do you ride her if she does this. I replied you pray!
Last time she was lightly sedated so that's an improvement and I get it all done in one go.

I love my dentist he's fab. He's actually a vet but he's a trained equine dentist too so I don't have to pay separate people for sedation and dental. I usually get his dentist and first clip done since they fall around the same date.

Can't contribute (yet) but really enjoying reading. I was thinking of doing a combination of all the things that have put me off / made me laugh in adverts for a bit of a laugh! Haha.

Can't contribute (yet) but really enjoying reading. I was thinking of doing a combination of all the things that have put me off / made me laugh in adverts for a bit of a laugh! Haha.
Yes it would be fun to read.

newrider.com