How would you feel about this?

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Purely hypothetical of course ;)

Imagine a few months ago your boss had praised you highly, told you how well you are doing etc and then told you that they fully believed you deserved a pay rise due to the work you were doing. You then refused to work an extra hour and a half that was not contracted but you were expected to work without payment/leiu. So they decided not to give you a payrise, because you no longer deserved it although still doing exactly the same level of work.

They then approach you wanting you to take on huge temporary responsibility for a week long work thing, which is really the managers responsibility because (quote) 'you did such a good job last time and really impressed us'

Would you do it? Or refuse? Why?

Sorry if that was mega confusing

I'd say yes as long as I had extra pay for that week to make up for the extra responsibility.....that's if I was I an arsey mood.

Otherwise I would just do it and think of it as good experience for the CV
This, I'd say I'd give it serious consideration if they would give my pay rise serious consideration

Reactions: Cortrasna and MrA
What I would do would depend on what mattered most to me:
1) Get a pay rise or gain experience, whatever. (A concrete objective).
2) Maintain good relationships with my boss (A relationship objective)
3) Not be taken for a mug! (A self respect objective).

They might all matter but you need to decide which matters MOST. If you really do want the experience, and can live with working for free for someone who you may feel not really deserve your loyalty then choose according to that priority and let go of any feelings of being hard done by. On the other hand if self respect is the biggy (in this particular situation) and you are willing to potentially lose out on gaining experience and place strain on the relationship by making a stand then go with that. If the pay rise is the main issue then you may need also need to risk the relationship - ie by doing as Wally says: "If you want this, then I will if you give me that...."

No-one can decide this for you!!

I'm just interested in what everyone else would do, mind is already made up :)

Was in this situation many times with my old job. I knew I didn't want to progress there, and there would be no option of extra pay, but I did it for my own pride and as such, when I left that job, they were sad to see me go and it was very satisfying walking away knowing I'd been a hard worker.

Reactions: MrA and Trewsers
I'd do it for the experience but probably remain a little pissed off.

It happened to me when I was working in retail. They asked me to help do the banking and admin one day because someone had phoned in sick so I did and they realised I was actually pretty good at it so got me to do it every weekend. I also was left in charge of the stock room every weekend too. I never got any recognition or extra money but it was a good thing to have on my CV.

Reactions: Trewsers
It all depends if you eventually want to be given a payrise or promotion?

In work, you generally have to prove yourself to be acting over and above your payscale - you can then ask/demand/expect a payrise based on the evidence that you deserve one. If you don't take the opportunities to act up and take on more responsibility, you cannot expect to make progress - or get paid more money.

So if I were in this hypothetical situation, I would embrace the responsibility, do a damm good job and then tell your manager why you deserve to be paid more money.

Reactions: Trewsers
Yes I think I'd do it, more so not to give them satisfaction of having more ' alleged' ammo against me. What they did regarding the contracted hours was immoral, however I would be making a stand of proving whoever suggested a payrise wasn't deserved were wrong.

Reactions: Frances144
newrider.com