Human conformation, does it effect our riding balance and ability?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I'm 5.4 and lightweight. Now does this mean i'm more likely to fly off saddle than heavier rider:) purely as i have less weight or am i less likely as not top heavy so can correct. I know long legs is meant to be advantage except if your jumping i feel short legs dont fly back so far if that's one of your habits. If mine do everyone notices! Think solved that now. Treed saddles on take into account width of horse and your leg length not your overall shape. Men have different issues i'd guess:-o

In Heather Moffett's Enlightend Equitation she makes mention of how a riders conformation will affect their riding.

The example she gives is about head size and neck length. :)

If you think about it, bigger heads weigh more and so the slightest movement out of balance will have a far greater affect on you and the horse than if you have a smaller one.

I'm lucky, I have a dinky head for an adult although my neck is fairly long. Also I'm 2 sizes bigger on my lower half than my upper which also helps with my balance :)

Yes I remember reading that too JS it's because your head is the heaviest single part of your body so has a big effect on your position and balance on the horse and how your neck is set and head naturally carried effcets your riding position and effect on the horse.

I also find that my back shape has an effect on my riding, I have quite a dip to my back above my bottom and my bottom sticks out and this carries on when sat in the saddle but I do have a bigger bottom half compared totop so that helps with my stability in the saddle too!

My RI comments on my posture before i get on pony! She does the alexandra technique. Hum so small head good. Long legs good. Length of neck puzzles me but bound to be where ALL my riding faults live. So if i put my conformation plus pony's conformation together, its suprising we look how we do. I'll try that next lesson.

I am very bottom heavy:eek: and light on top which I suppose helps with balance, but I also have a very long body in comparison with my legs which I find a bit of a disadvantage, more to balance on top!

Oh dear. I'm stuffed then. I have a long body v short legs, my arms are too long, I'm lightweight all over, have no bum, a long neck and a largeish head. EEEeeekkk!
Saying that though, I don't very often fall off (Touch wood LOL) And have been told that I have quite a good seat and good posture even if I do sound like Frankenstine.
I guess that you just adjust yourself to fit! My only downfall is due to my short legs, I struggle to ride the larger horses, as my legs barely fit below the saddle flaps and my lower leg tends to flap as I can't grip properly. Luckily I have a 13.2 ponio. :)

I think our conformation makes a HUGE difference - it does with horses and other athletes, so why not riders too? I think that the effects are seriously underestimated, though, as our balance, coordination, fitness, flexibility, suppleness, strength, core stability, psoture etc ... all have a big impact on the horse's way of going.

x

Horses are very adaptable beings, just look at all the disabled riders. I am one of them I have lots of shape problems due to a car accident, but my pony is quite happy and doesnt mind one stirrup two holes longer than the other and one side of my pelvis going two inches more into the saddle.

Cant remember his name or the details but that chap that went to the Olympics without arms or legs (false I think). His levels of dressage put a lot to shame and what a fabulous horse to cope with all that. :rolleyes:

So staying in perfect balance at all times, and correcting our posture as much as we can should make up for some of our build deficiencies. So if we are tall, short, thin, heavier, top heavy, bottom heavy, if we all try our best I am sure our horses will appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
So staying in perfect balance at all times, and correcting our posture as much as we can should make up for some of our build deficiencies. So if we are tall, short, thin, heavier, top heavy, bottom heavy, if we all try our best I am sure our horses will appreciate it.

Exactly. That's what I was just thinking. I think the principles are the same, and can all be achieved - balance being the key one - no matter what your size, shape or weight.

x

If you have a long spine and long legs they are far more efficient at moving with a big moving horse than a shorter spined shorter legged person who will have to work twice as hard.

Is it the Fox -Pitt chap whose head and neck seem to blend into one? Looks like the top of a pencil. He ought to do very well.

You head position does play a huge role in your overall position and balance. Simply by looking in the right place you can influence a horse's way of going.

If you have a long spine and long legs they are far more efficient at moving with a big moving horse than a shorter spined shorter legged person who will have to work twice as hard.

Ah, CRAP! Why'd you tell me this?? You mean there are lovely, tall lanky individuals who have been doing half the work I do?! :p

You head position does play a huge role in your overall position and balance. Simply by looking in the right place you can influence a horse's way of going.

Which is why the first thing I usually pick up on critiques is reminding the rider to not look down. The average head weighs as much as a bowling ball. Look down and that's ten extra pounds you're making the horse carry on it's forehand.

Keket - I have also heard that most riders have the saddles too far forward putting the horse more on the forehand....so...by moving the saddle back and always looking up and keeping top of body straight or back, we are taking a load OFF the front end for them thereby making it easier for them. I sit on my pockets to keep weight off the front end as well.

Very true. I have long legs and a small head (same size as my ten year old daughter's!) but because I have a nasty habit of looking down I don't really benefit from it... when my instructor started working on where I was looking things improved a lot.

Keket - I have also heard that most riders have the saddles too far forward putting the horse more on the forehand....so...by moving the saddle back and always looking up and keeping top of body straight or back, we are taking a load OFF the front end for them thereby making it easier for them. I sit on my pockets to keep weight off the front end as well.

It's a huge frustration for me to watch the hunt-seat riders around here who all have the idea that since it's acceptable to come forward over a jump, then it's acceptable to lean forward in all gaits. Which puts their horses heavier on the forehand and then they don't jump properly and the rider throws a fit, never thinking it might be their own fault. :rolleyes:

Very true. I have long legs and a small head (same size as my ten year old daughter's!) but because I have a nasty habit of looking down I don't really benefit from it... when my instructor started working on where I was looking things improved a lot.

So when people laugh that my head is the size of an 8yr old i can tell them it makes me more balanced:), that'll be the day i fall off i bet:rolleyes:

I have a voice in my head that says "look where your going not where you will end up" ie don't look down at the ground unless you want to be sitting on it.

Jumping is another topic thread i suppose but i don't do the two point seat either, pony is going better for me not doing it.

I 've got a head like a bucket, and I have a habit of looking down and to the side.

Heather Moffett was trying to teach me to do a descent half pass on her Prix St. George horses. By heck they could do them....and so could I when I stopped looking down and to the side. When your head tips one way, your whole body balance changes. Once I stopped looking down and to the side everything worked like a dream.

newrider.com