Human tetanus vaccines.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
I'll be consulting a doctor but just curious really..

Do you all get 10 year boosters? I had my 5 when I was a child and a booster at 9 due to deep wound. Nothing since and I believed I was covered, NHS website says that I would be. Other sources say to get the booster every 10 years. Some say 3 boosters and you need no more.

Guess we are more high risk than some with all the mud, I have alot of animal contact and work in a garden centre too. Just about to start volunteering with wildlife and they've asked, just got me thinking!

I was advised 10 yrs if you work round animals you are more at risk. I had to have mine done to go to ag college. I'm sure I've had a booster as well since due to an injury i sustained and the nurse said we better give you a booster because of the animals. So long ago I cant remember what the injury was, I think it was a cut to the hand. Mind that was a good few years ago so I may be due another now.

Reactions: Trewsers and MrA
From the nhs website, nothing about increased risks etc that I could see Screenshot_2019-09-11-21-09-24.png

I had my five when I was gardening for a living, was told then that I wouldn't need any more.

I can't remember the last time I had one, but know I had a lot when I was a kid/teenager as I was pretty accident prone :rolleyes: I guess its something worth asking about just to be on the safe side, but if you get an injury they can give you one then if it's been a while.

Reactions: Trewsers
From my past experience doctors don't like giving it! It was like pulling teeth getting one for myself and mr t. We both had not had one once since teen years and working around animals both of us sustained cuts so thought it best to go get one. In the end we did manage it but not after a lot of pestering. It's something I need to consider again at some point. I was told mine would cover us long term - but it's at least fifteen years ago. I'll ask my practice nurse next time I'm in there.

I had one Ale when I went to work/ help on the yard. It maybe wasnt strictly necessary and I dont think I ever saw a doctor. Just spoke to the practice and a nurse gave the vaccine. But it was only because of the added risk and no one being sure how many shots I had had in the past. And probably 15 years ago. I shant get another.
Doctors are reluctant to give them where not stipulated by the NHS, of course as NHS funds are limited. But in view of your work or course I would ask. But probably not bother a doctor.

We do try to keep a record of what innoculations we have had. with the dates.

newrider.com