Hunting - can you avoid jumps?

I am thinking of trying hunting with Frayne this winter, but we do not jump! Is it generally possible to find a way round?

I used to hunt years ago in Oxfordshire (Heythrop), but then they were following fox scent and it was random where you went (plus I was usually with the Whipper In and he would find gates or places to scramble through).

Also - how fit does the pony need to be? Frayne will happily complete a 10 mile ride over very difficult terrain - but this is at a slow pace. I have started trotting her up and down our local hills, which she does with no change in her breathing (but sweats up under her saddle).

Ali xx

Usually you can...........but i wont be going again this yr :( too much standing still my boy kept rearing last time i went I 'might' be going to burghley drag hunt but thats it, they dont stand still.......and the surroundings are lovely! optional jumps too which i would opt out of :cold:

never hunted myself (too scary! all this hurtling up and down hills!) but i understand horses would need to be rather fit to keep up (friend is hoping to take her horse and training for fitness it seems eg trotting for miles!). eg. mine is happy riding out for 3 hours including some canter but would not be hunting fit i suspect

I hunt the cleanboot (hence my username) and yes, you can avoid jumps if you choose to.
There is a second fieldmaster who takes an alternative route to avoid jumping as not all riders like it, however, there may be ditches and steep inclines so you may not totally escape some 'leg lifting' action!!

As for fitness, if your horse can hack for around 4-5 hours and still be sound then you should have no problem, they behave differently on the hunt and have increased power and stamina lol!

There are hunt rules to follow and you must obey them, if you need some advice about this I will tell you but you have not said so I wont give you a lecture unless you ask x

Edited to add.........have the horse clipped to reduce sweating.

Thanks for that advice. I definitely have more fittening work to do with Frayne, as well as some schooling so that she listens when I ask her to slow down! Took her out yesterday and she is getting very 'keen' in trot now - she does stop (and that is with a very mild bitless bridle), but I have to ask strongly.

CB - I know all the hunt rules, as I used to work for the Heythrop Hunt as a teenager and went out on foot/mounted for most of my childhood. Great to hear there will be a 2nd Field Master. Ditches etc are not a problem; Frayne, bless her, will go through anything.

Clipping - yes, will definitely be clipping her this year. It was too cool to wash her down yesterday evening and I didn't like leaving her sweaty (however, a brush down and then turned out on the starvation paddock for a while and she was soon cool).

Ali xx

newrider.com