HYPP..information

Danae

Momma's Lil Ropin' Fool
Apr 9, 2002
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Hi, I was doing some searchs on Hopi's bloodlines and I saw she had Impressive. If you are showing in the western halter/showmanship world, you've probably seen your share of Impressive horses. She has Impressive 4 generations back on the bottum.

Hopi>Tiffany's Tardee>Tardee Pine>Tardee Impressive> Impressive...

Should I worry about HYPP?? Also, if you have any information on this disease please pass it along. I know it is a muscular disease and can be very fatal..I'm also wondering, how do I got about getting the test done? Thanks :)

HYPP stands for Hyperkalemic Periodic Paralysis. Your vet can do the test for you, but your horse may already have had it done. Look at his papers. Some where on them it should say that he has a chance of having HYPP. If he has tested negative then, it should say that. If he hasn't been tested, get the test done right away.

These are some of the symptons that I got off of a handout a few years ago. I believe they came off of a website.

Warning Signs of HYPP
- restlessness
- dullness
- depression
- frequent urination and/or defecation
- stiff gait
- hard muscles
- "anxious look"

Episode Symptoms ( may last between 15 minutes and four hours or more) (Depending on the severity of the case, some, all or none of these symptoms may occur in a HYPP positive horse)
- intermittent, uncontrollable muscle twitching/tremors, especially over the horse's neck, shoulders, ribs, hips and flanks
- nostrils flare
- facial muscles wrinkle, creating an anxious expression
- stiffness of lips that makes horse appear to be grinning
- protrusion of the third eyelid across the eye
- sweating
- increase in breathing rate
- noisy breathing
- (especially in H/H horses:) possible abnormal sounds when attempting to whinny or no audible sound, also noisy breathing on a regular basis, drooling saliva and problems swallowing, poor growth or weight loss
- sawhorse stance with head down, inability to raise head
- seizure
- swaying, staggering, stumbling or knees buckling
- may assume a "sitting-dog" position on haunches until episode passes
- worst case, horse collapses and dies of cardiac arrest or respiratory paralysis.

There are things you can do to manage a horse with HYPP so that it doesn't suffer from many episodes such as minimizing potassium intake and providing free choice salt and lots of water to flush excess potassium from their system. There is also a drug you can get from your vet called acetazolamide (Diamon) . It is a diurectic and if it is effective your horse will need to be on it for the rest of its life. There is no cure for HYPP, but you may be able to manage it, but I personally would not want that respondsibility.

Before you worry about anything, talk to your vet and have your horse tested. There might not be any need for concern.

Just a quick update

I asked my vet about HYPP and she is going to fax us the form to send somewhere (can't quite remember) along with $50 and a few pulled hairs. They no longer require the vet or blood, just a few mane hairs with the roots. Thank you for all your information!

newrider.com