I’ve done some more shoe removing!

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
On Friday I took the plunge and had Jake and old Barneys shoes off. Figured if I had to have oz barefoot with his awful feet I’d give the other two a try.
Barney is as expected sore on hard ground. He’s fine in the field though so will cautiously see how he gets on.
Jake on the other hand seems not to have noticed the difference!
He had flared up an old leg Injury at the start of winter so was only very recently back in super light ridden work. We plod (jig jog if he gets his way) round a village loop. Takes about 30 minutes about 4 times a week (work commitments)
The trimmer said not to go at it all guns blazing and to walk him in hand first to see how he handles things.
I’m currently doing that, we are just having a grass stop ;)
So my question is as he’s so good, not even a single ouch step can I just get on and carry on as above ridden or is that rushing it and going to make him sore?
Interestingly the trimmer pointed out quite bad imbalance of his near hind and off fore which I wonder now may have contributed to the old injury returning. I’m annoyed I didn’t notice :(

Reactions: Jessey
30 minutes equates to a 2 mile max plod ride, 4 times a week. Ummm. Is it possible to do a shorter loop. I would still do 4 times a week to get him out on the road but maybe do 20 minutes. As the ground is very wet the feet will be soft. Too much road will probably wear more until the feet harden up. Id carry on at 30 if i was hacking on grass surface. Id avoid stone/gravel tracks as much as possible to start with. That will bruise quicker than a road surface.

That’s the shortest loop I can do but he’s not a nappy sort I can easily turn back on myself without a problem.
I will avoid stones for now and will probably stick to road work as I don’t want him skidding round or pulling his leg in mud.
Thanks for the advice :)

I'd get on and try it, some just don't seem to notice, others need some time to adjust but you don't know until you try :)

Hogan's barefoot, and I think always has been. He can still be a bit tentative on stony/gravelly ground. Ramsey couldn't tolerate it at all - he bruised like a peach.

newrider.com