I’ve well and truly upset my ponies today!

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
They all come in early in the morning, about 7am. I have to walk them all up a road so can’t really do any earlier as it’s too dark to be safe.
They are never waiting to come in, usually grazing or sleeping so when I was asked to work early this morning as a one off I figured they could stay out for a day with hay and food.
I’ve come home to carnage! VERY grumpy ponies! They are all plastered in mud, squabbling (in one case fighting) bored, fed up. The fields have gone from pretty good to trashed at the gates and having huge skid marks everywhere.... I imagine I’ve been called a few choice names by the local riders aswell ;) obviously normally they ride past empty fields. Today they had a Shetland and section A challenging them to a race down the fence line * huge apologies everyone! I got home to two poor women hanging onto their horses for dear life....
tomorrow normality resumes! I thought it might be nice for them, evidently not :D
I seem to have the only horses who need less time out to stay sensible!

Would be the total reverse with Ramsey, god bless him, and Hogan. Ramsey would NOT stay in. Found him on a stormy night, midnight, having been very poorly, and thought I was being kind bringing him in.Had got out his stable, and was charging around the barn. Into the hay, feed bags, poo everywhere. I only went up because I had a gut feeling I should check him. Needless to say, I turned him out in the wind and rain and he was happy as Larry. Think Hogan would be the same - as soon as he's finished his hay and bucket, he's kicking the door down, and stomping round the stable. So I empathise - in a sort of opposite way!

None of ours like extra time out. I began to wonder if they were institutionalised.................Chloe goes out in a morning (providing it's sunny, not at all windy, no mud, no flies, you get the idea.......................) and then demands to come in after about half an hour. She then hangs around outside the byre on the yard. Strange horse. Not food driven at all really - the grass doesn't hold much appeal. Zi can be the same. He just likes rolling and then will come trotting back in. Storm will enjoy the grass but she's a wuss and likes comforts. If I leave her in one of her paddocks for more than hour without checking she is very cross about it.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Toz and Huggy
All mine hate being in but I guess I made them like that as I don’t give them a choice. I don’t stick to a really routine apart from they know when they see me they will be fussed ridden fed and groomed but they don’t know when or what order.

I don’t even feed at the same time. Today I was up for the farrier so all in fed groomed and back out by 1230 Monday I will not get to them until 1730.

I can’t be having three horses creating havoc just because I change my schedule due to work, dog or OH just in case someone else has to help every now and again it would not be safe for them.

Reactions: Huggy and Toz
I’ve never been a strict routine person and they don’t care the other end of the day. Sometimes I put them back out at lunch time, othertimes 5pm and that’s ok! I think I could also be a hour or two late (well I know I can, sometimes on a day off I am!) but not to change it to the extent they are out all day I guess. The usual coming in time is because it’s just light but I have to go to work!
First 3 in and munching anyway. The other two are a mile away.... coffee first ;)

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
I never created routines with ours - but they really let me know when they needed to come in. These days due to her having a leg injury (long term) I can't afford to deviate much from her idea of when she should come in. Otherwise she's likely to do more harm than good by being out.
I think we can all tailor it to suit if need be - just that they do have an opinion..............................

Reactions: Toz and Huggy
They are funny beasts, they do learn routines quickly and dislike deviation. I try not to be too strict with routine but when you work regular hours it's hard not to. When I was away my horse sitter had bother with Jess, was chased a couple of times and kicked once, I later found out he'd been bucket feeding in the morning and issues happened in the afternoon when they are normally fed, so someone was having tantrums despite already having had her bucket.

we've had the opposite, Buddy has lingered up the field at night and had to be collected
Bubbles will sometimes do this. It’s awkward because he’s out with two others. They come to the gate so I have to get them and all 3 of us wander across to catch bubbles!

newrider.com