I couldn't be an eventer because- add yours

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I hate changing the length of my stirrups! :D

I have been having issues with my forward seat, @carthorse had mentioned I might benefit from one hole shorter.

Usual length.
My core feels weak
No weight in my heels. The spin she did caused me to lose a stirrup. No surprises there then!
But mentally I felt secure.

So I upped a hole.
Felt perched
Too much weight
Heels were down.
Felt tension as she went a bit tense.
Mentally felt insecure.

Changed back and then back again.
After half an hour I felt in the saddle and not perched.
Canter was lovely when I got it. She is very sensitive to change and my whole body will have altered.
If I go back to the dressage saddle I will have this issue of lengthening. :rolleyes:

In my dreams I fly effortlessly around a x country course on Storm, both our manes flying in the breeze, our specially designed colours standing out proudly. We both have smiling faces and as we reach the last jump and I start to get tired legs, Storm unfolds her wings and we fly back to our wonderful horse wagon.......
Heheheee - there is a lot more than alterting stirrups that stops me from doing x country. Unless someone invented a saddle that had glue and held you in......:p:D

I'm more like @Trewsers..love to dream of me and Marley flying around effortlessly:) although I have never imagined the flying away bit lol :p Truth be I would be terrified but I think Marley would love it..

Reactions: Trewsers
Too scary for me too and I would never forgive myself if Raf hurt himself on one of those solid fences. I'm rubbish at dressage too. My RI does BE and when she sends back pics of the x country courses she's walking some look so nice I'd love to have a fly round on Raf, just not with the obstacles! Don't think that's allowed though ...

Too scary for me too and I would never forgive myself if Raf hurt himself on one of those solid fences. I'm rubbish at dressage too. My RI does BE and when she sends back pics of the x country courses she's walking some look so nice I'd love to have a fly round on Raf, just not with the obstacles! Don't think that's allowed though ...
You can its called a fun ride. One locally goes round the xc course and those jumps are optional.

Because I am not and never have been a good enough rider, so I do all my XC pursuits in private, and on our own - we enjoy it that is all that matters ....and these days I just do not have the guts for anything more than our own private little XC hacks.!

There's a local 50cm ODE which I dream of doing one day :D

As for stirrup lengths I know someone who rides 4 holes shorter for XC than for dressage!!

As for stirrup lengths I know someone who rides 4 holes shorter for XC than for dressage!!

I think that could be me as well. I have ridden in a dressage saddle all winter and went up two for hacking when I changed saddles. I might go up one to jump but because we jump small I might not.

We wouldn't ever do a ODE because neither of us will ever be fit enough.

I'd say that's about right tbh. A lot of people have their stirrups too long for jumping and too short for flatwork. I usually put mine up 3 holes to jump. Though I'm happier jumping in a GP saddle than a jumping saddle!

newrider.com