I don't know whether to go!

Laura+Phantom

Jan 25, 2004
I've mentioned before that me and Saphy, my loan pony, have qualified for the south west unaffiliated championships on March 9/10/11th, but I don't know if we're ready! I mean she is, but I don't want to mess it up, it's only 2'3 which is plenty big enough for me right now but we haven't jumped for a while because of this evil weather.

I'm hoping to get more jumping schooling in over the next 2 weeks, and want to take her to a comp next sunday, but we'll have to take her 2 hours or so in my single trailer to the championships and stay up there, and I still don't have someone to take with me. Normally my dad would help me but we would have to stay up there and its not fair on him, he's not even horsey.

Its a great opportunity but I don't know what to do! I feel like a total amateur and I need someone to come up and help me, but don't want to ask my friends to give up their entire weekend for me. I've kind of asked my boyfriend but he's not keen :(

You qualified for a reason! you ARE good enough! get a little practice in if you can, for your peace of mind, but hey, come on, you qualifed! it's a potentially great experience, just do it!! I am sure that if you told a few people about what you were going to do you would find a helper. You may not get the opportunity again (horses being horses!!!!).

Take lots of - is it bachs remedy? - and breathe, relax, you will be fine!!

Thank you, you're right, we've had double clears every time out so I guess can't be hindering her that much! I think I would regret it if I didn't go..I might try and ask my friend tomorrow if she wants to help me, I groomed for her once at a dressage comp.

Definately need the rescue remedy!

Where abouts are the championships? Maybe someone from NR could come & help you if they are nearby.

what facilities are going to be at the showground?
Where are you going to sleep?

Can't really help on the 'getting someone to come with you' front.... but I know exactly how you feel (well I haven't qualified for anything, but I do sometimes have to go for a while without any jumping prior to a comp).

My advice would be that even if you don't do that well (and I'm sure you will be fine) it's generally all a great learning experience. Plus next year- *when* you qualify again ;) you'll know exactly what to expect.

Best of luck!

Go for it! You qualified because you and her were good enough. As I remember it, didn't you do a jumping show when you had only had a very small amount of time and from the video it looked great. Good luck xx

Where abouts are the championships? Maybe someone from NR could come & help you if they are nearby.

what facilities are going to be at the showground?
Where are you going to sleep?

I was just about to volenteer!!

Let us know where they are and if I'm free I'd be more than happy to come and groom for you and lend a supportive arm, leg up or shoulder for you.

xx

I'd help you if i wasnt at almost the other end of the country from you :p.

I remember when i had Barnaby and i qualified for the Yorkshire Horse Of the Year Show. I never went, as i never had faith in our abilities but i could have done, and if i hadnt have sold im, i probably would have done given another chance. Im sure you're good enough, who cares anyway? Its only fun! You qualified in the first place, which is great anyway! But to complete the book you have to go and tell us all about it :p.

If you dont feel comfortable though, theres always next year right? :p.

Ah thanks everyone :D I really ought to do it as Saphy is still only on a provisional 6 months loan!

Crazyhorse - yes we did the 2 competitions when i'd never done a class before and had only had her a couple of weeks :) Double clear in each class bless her!

That's really kind to offer to help me, I bet it's miles from anyone though! It's being held at the Grange Equestrian Centre in Okehampton, Devon.

Helenc - there are stables for the ponies (included in price) but i'll be sleeping in a tent!

Here's the flyer for it:
SWqualificationcard.jpg

And us in the class where we qualified..need to hoik those stirrups up!
saphyjumping2.jpg

Last edited:
That's really kind to offer to help me, I bet it's miles from anyone though! It's being held at the Grange Equestrian Centre in Okehampton, Devon.

I live in Taunton, Oakhampton is a hop, skip and jump down the M5.

We can rally the south west people up and have a meet down there...there could be banners....and cheering...and and and I can't think of anything else!!

Oh god, banners, that would scare me! Aw thats really nice of you, i'm touched :) Well let me know if you want to come down, it would be much appreciated! We should definately gather up the SW members, that would be excellent!

Jenren you'll have to re-locate! :D

Laura from what you say I get the feeling you'd always wonder 'what if' if you didn't go, so.....rally some support from here and go for it. Far better to try and fail than never try at all!

(We'd offer to give some support but are away that week plus Devon is the wrong side of the North West for us anyway! :eek: ).

Good luck.

I cud come n help!!! lol im close (ish) to there n wud luv the weekend away to hellp lol xx

You qualified for a reason! you ARE good enough! get a little practice in if you can, for your peace of mind, but hey, come on, you qualifed! it's a potentially great experience, just do it!! I am sure that if you told a few people about what you were going to do you would find a helper. You may not get the opportunity again (horses being horses!!!!).

Take lots of - is it bachs remedy? - and breathe, relax, you will be fine!!

Echo that-go for it, its all about the experience remember as well as coming away with something.

Good luck & let us know how you get on :D

Im coming up anyway, Im doing the horses comp the weekend after so we are going to see what its all about!
I can't imagine they have enough stables for all the ponies that will be coming, we compete up there quite often and they dont seem to have a big yard AT ALL. Saying that we are only 40 mins trailer drive away so we might just go home every day! Have you been up there before? They have the most gorgeous arena.:)

Hi Shakari, no, I don't think i've been before, I think the only one i've visited in Devon was Coombe Park with college.

I got more info through today, I keep changing my mind! It sounds so good, but my dad keeps saying things like "oh what if its pouring down with rain".

Couldn't I sleep in my trailer if I put something down to lie on? It's a really cute single one...

Apparently I will be doing my 2'3 classes at 12pm and 6pm on friday, and a bit earlier on saturday, with rossettes to 6th place, and gold, silver and bronze medals for 1st - 3rd! Winner of each height section overall gets a sash! Top 20 riders for each height class go through to the championships on sunday.

Also there will be a party on saturday night with music and a bucking bronco..it does sound like fun!

Last edited:
Not sure I would want to sleep in my trailer, not after Red had been in there squitting everywhere!!! lol.
They havent sent me anymore information through yet :mad: , they also havent cashed my cheque in yet either, perhaps they have forgotten me :D

Just go for it, got nothing to lose, I'm not sure about going now because Red is 24 but she doesn't look it or act it but she does look a little poor behind at the moment and I can imagine there would be comments from well meaning people :rolleyes: Also my bump is growing by the day :eek:

newrider.com