I don't quite know what happened but it was FABULOUS

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
I went down the field yesterday thinking I had limited time really as OH and I were off out for an Anniversary meal.

I decided to put Sioned's Bridle on just so she could have a play, slipped her headcollar on top and attached a lunge line. Decided we would walk round field just doing 'walk-on, steady, stand's etc.,' and thats what we proceeded to do. Initially she was reluctant, why is it that Horses seem to hate working in their own fields, their 'territory'. Anyway got her walking on and gradually dropped back behind her shoulder. We went round, across, backtracked etc.,
and she was very good. As we came back towards the stables she wanted to get back to Bertie but I decided to just move her on but in all honesty had to give her a little tug, and reluctantly she walked on 'behind' me.

I started skipping, she broke into trot, I walked, she walked, I turned, she
turned. I was on a VERY loose line by then, mindful of course that she could not trip or stand on the line. I skipped again, she trotted, OMG this is
great I thought. We did figures of 8, circles, round the field, across the
field, and she was 'with me' I am thinking, 'is this NH, is it a form of join up' I don't know and don't particularly care 'I AM DANCING WITH MY HORSE'

We went to the flatter bit of the field, she was still behind me, loose line, but her ears were forward, she was actually enjoying this. I skipped, she trotted,
I turned, she followed, I stood and she went round behind me of her own free will to see what I was going to do next. We carried on for about another 15 minutes and I stopped and called her in and made a huge fuss of her, I was
'cream crackered' TBH Bertie was eyeing us very suspiciously from
the stables I could almost hear him thinking 'Wusses no way am I doin' THAT'

We walked back to the stables and I glanced over at the Cottage opposite.

Liz and her two little girls were hanging out of the Bedroom window, CLAPPING, lol and Sophie, the eldest, about 3, shouted 'You were Dancing, Sioned was DANCING'

Well, 'YES' we were and it was LOVELY

Last edited:
Brilliant!!!! I love hearing these things, makes me glad there is this side to horse ownership and not just the riding part! Sounds like you had a wonderful time together.

What a magic moment - well several moments in all - think you might have a very special bond there.:) All bodes very well for the future doesnt it.:)

I think I can honestly say I have been soooo lucky with Sioned, on the whole she is very laid back.

Yesterday, without doubt, was the highlight in a very happy time of
owning her:D

newrider.com