I fell off Flo :( *PICS*

Flony_Pony

Apr 20, 2007
Milton Keynes, Bucks
The unthinkable, hardest thing in the world happened last night, I fell off FLO!!!

We were jumping and she tripped as she landed, i rebalanced her and went off the side door in slow motion! I got some nice pics of before hand and after wards tho none of me on the ground!!

If any one has any tips about getting her to drop her nose i would appreciate it, i use my outside rein, inside lega nd get inside bend but that it lol!! Jess works long and low for me!!

Some pics for you:

PicNumber058.jpg

Trot poles:
PicNumber110.jpg

The school was very busy...
PicNumber115.jpg

PicNumber119.jpg

PicNumber124.jpg

PicNumber126.jpg

PicNumber134.jpg

PicNumber144.jpg

I know the jump is tiny but we were working on striding :rolleyes:

wow nice pics i'd love to be able to jump my mare but she kind of rears up puts her legs over and bucks over the back lol its quite amusing my trainer tried to be big headed as she thought she could get her to jump properly but she did eve worse than she did it with me haha but great shots x

wow nice pics i'd love to be able to jump my mare but she kind of rears up puts her legs over and bucks over the back lol its quite amusing my trainer tried to be big headed as she thought she could get her to jump properly but she did eve worse than she did it with me haha but great shots x

LMAO bless you, Jess jumps like a stag and maniac stag!

Fancy not having any pics of you on the floor :rolleyes:

I think you should stage a reconstruction and get some to post up :p

Flo is gorgeous isn't she! :D

nice pics- jumps don't have to be big to be effective in training :)
for getting her going round she made need a lot of seat (not hard, a soft seat but holding with it, my mare feels more secure with me sitting deeply so i do a lot of no stirrups and am basically stuck to the saddle - good at toning muscles!) i would od a lot of suppling work and don't concentrate on getting her head down. i had a great example yesterday, i had someone who wasn't good at keeping a consistent rein contact work on transitions. she was on a 20m circle so had to concentrate on keeping the bend and the circle, when she went past B she had to walk 5 steps and trot on again. the horse is fairly lazy but soon cottoned on and was more off the leg. she then progressed to 4 steps, the following time she did 3, then 2, then 1. then varied it a little. the horse then offered an outline as his back end was engaged and he antisipated lots of transitions so he had to maintain balance.
i have previously done a lot of shoulder in/out and haunches in/out on a circle without worrying how high/low the head was (as long as it was flexed in the right direction) and gradually my horse got rounder and rounder as she softened to the contact and the flexion.

Fancy not having any pics of you on the floor :rolleyes:

I think you should stage a reconstruction and get some to post up :p

Flo is gorgeous isn't she! :D

OH didnt even see me hit the deck, just me sat on the floor laffing!!! Some caring person he turned out to be!

As for flo, shes georgous and when i took her round the farm for a walking cool off she targeted me at the xc jumps with her ears pricked!!

how did you fall off your baby lol!! :eek:
shocker!
some lovely shots though.
have you fell off 7 times yet??

I have fallen off Flo 4 times in 4 1/2 years

Jess I've come off 5 times in 3 years

My old gelding i fell off about 10 times

and i fell off 6 times in 2 weeks at my RS one holiday!!!! He he!

I bounce quite well, but my seat is pretty sticky now!

nice pics- jumps don't have to be big to be effective in training :)
for getting her going round she made need a lot of seat (not hard, a soft seat but holding with it, my mare feels more secure with me sitting deeply so i do a lot of no stirrups and am basically stuck to the saddle - good at toning muscles!) i would od a lot of suppling work and don't concentrate on getting her head down. i had a great example yesterday, i had someone who wasn't good at keeping a consistent rein contact work on transitions. she was on a 20m circle so had to concentrate on keeping the bend and the circle, when she went past B she had to walk 5 steps and trot on again. the horse is fairly lazy but soon cottoned on and was more off the leg. she then progressed to 4 steps, the following time she did 3, then 2, then 1. then varied it a little. the horse then offered an outline as his back end was engaged and he antisipated lots of transitions so he had to maintain balance.
i have previously done a lot of shoulder in/out and haunches in/out on a circle without worrying how high/low the head was (as long as it was flexed in the right direction) and gradually my horse got rounder and rounder as she softened to the contact and the flexion.

Thanks Coss with def give lots of transition work a go, she goes low sometimes, lol for a few strides!

Great jumping pics. To get her working better, you need to have her moving forward more (not rushing, just forward) as she is on her forehand, and she isn't stepping unde much with her back legs. My instructor in my lesson the other week said I had the same problem, so I had to halt on the 3/4 line in the school, ride a turn on the forehand until facing the other way, and then move straight into trot. Turns on the forehand get the horse really using its back end, and also will make her more attentive to your aids. Hope this helps :)

Great jumping pics. To get her working better, you need to have her moving forward more (not rushing, just forward) as she is on her forehand, and she isn't stepping unde much with her back legs. My instructor in my lesson the other week said I had the same problem, so I had to halt on the 3/4 line in the school, ride a turn on the forehand until facing the other way, and then move straight into trot. Turns on the forehand get the horse really using its back end, and also will make her more attentive to your aids. Hope this helps :)

Thanks, she has awful conformation (but i still love her) so she cant physically track up unfortuatly, she does work very forwards though, she isnt lazy!!! Will try to get her moving from my leg more - we havnt done any schooling in nearly 4 years!!! We havnt had a school!

the exercise posted by NuttyElk is a very good exercise for engaging the hindquarters. its can't be stated enough - impulsion does NOT equal speed. there is a big difference between just going fast and having energy. rein back (make the leg aid almost non existent as she's forward) is a good way to engage the back end also - but only if ridden with lightness, a good rein back can lead to many good transitions :p

heya
i have had sum really slow motion falls but i wouldnt worry about it. To get her to drop her nose in will take constant work and i would try draw or side reins and ride with them in a few schooling sessions and see how that goes, long reinining is always a good technique for your horse as well as this teaches them to engage with the bit and work from the quarters. A standing martingale might be worth a try as well as this wont let her put her head or neck out or up and she shall have to bring it in.
i think the best thing is try as many things untill you find one that works..!
Good luck =]
Meg[x][x]

heya
i have had sum really slow motion falls but i wouldnt worry about it. To get her to drop her nose in will take constant work and i would try draw or side reins and ride with them in a few schooling sessions and see how that goes, long reinining is always a good technique for your horse as well as this teaches them to engage with the bit and work from the quarters. A standing martingale might be worth a try as well as this wont let her put her head or neck out or up and she shall have to bring it in.
i think the best thing is try as many things untill you find one that works..!
Good luck =]
Meg[x][x]

Thanks, i have a set of draw reins somewhere - they came with her when i first got her but iv never ridden in any before!!!

Thanks acw - glad i didnt fall off molly, that wouldnt have done anything for my confidence! At least it was flo!! Love her too much lol

Thanks, i have a set of draw reins somewhere - they came with her when i first got her but iv never ridden in any before!!!

Thanks acw - glad i didnt fall off molly, that wouldnt have done anything for my confidence! At least it was flo!! Love her too much lol

make sure you get an instructor to take you through it - they are best used like the curb on a double bridle so you'd need to ride with double reins. i would try schooling exercises first, her head isn't that high really - she's just in donkey mode in the front end ;)

newrider.com