i fell off!!!..

ladiva

Aug 4, 2009
East Anglia
..well slid off actually so not sure if it counts?!

4th lesson at the school with my friend. it was not a good one (again! i am thinking that is two in a row now so third time lucky for next sunday) though the steering wasnt the biggest issue - it was the getting going!

we were late starting as the horses were out on a hack when we got there. once i had a pre-warmed hat from one of the hackers we went straight for the lesson. it was obvious from the start that my horse was not best pleased at having to do this! a bit of napping proceeded the lesson with the occasional attempt throughout. i felt sorry for the horse..not to mention she was stuck with me on her back for the next hour.

back to my pitiful attempt at a fall...near the end of the lesson we were attempting a canter. sat down at the corner and asked for canter...still frantically trotting at the next corner..lost one stirrup...tried to get it back and lost the other...started slipping off the saddle and ended up on her neck in my bid to stay on...decided it was better to just slide off than reattempt finding the saddle again. thought i didnt manage any of this with any style or finess and my friends laughter confirmed this!

we did manage a canter after this but i think she just felt sorry for me!

as for the steering issue..i tried squeezing my right rein and leg when wanting a left turn...no response. not sure if it was the mood of the horse or i was doing it wrong or that the horse is not as sensitive as those at the other school. i ended up using my left rein (dont tell me off!) which i know is wrong but the horse responded and i was struggling enough with the getting going to worry about that as well. i will work more on that next week.

Sorry..didn't realise how long this was! i'll shut up now!

ah hun, they say it takes 7 falls to be a real rider? see, you're already on your way there!:rolleyes:

honestly, it's just practice. After 4 years there are still many, many (many etc) times that i get unbalanced, wobbling in trot, losing stirrups and get yelled at to return to walk and start again when trying to canter.

good luck for next sunday...!

newrider.com