I find it amazing that ale has only worn a LW rug.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
This may be long sorry. I've had ale 7 winters now and he's a haffy with a trace clip.

Normally over winter I put him in a medium weight rug, sometimes with a neck. And when it gets into minus figures I put him into a heavy weight.

This year after reading various threads on here I decided to rug less to help with weightloss. So I left him naked alot longer than I normally would of, I think it was a couple of months longer TBH. I only started rugging him (no fill) because he was coming in too filthy and was making it hard to ride.

And from then on I have been waiting for him to feel cold to up his rug a weight. But he never has! I did up him to a medium weight for a week when it got to minus 6 at night, but in the mornings he felt too warm and it was still minus 4/5 then so I decided to go back down again.

I'm just fascinated by the fact he feels warm all the time now, whereas before he would feel cold. I guess he simply grew a better coat being naked longer?

At the moment it is about minus 2 in the mornings when I get to the yard, he feels warm and seems happy so I don't intend to use the medium weight again unless he starts feeling cold.

He is the only horse on the yard in a lightweight rug. I just think its really interesting how their bodies adapt, and it has certainly helped in keeping his weight at its lowest ever.

One pleased pony mum :)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I was told by my vet 'she can cope with anything the English winter could throw at her I promise' when I was worried about leaving naked. To be honest Belle never feels cold but she isn't clipped (well a tiny bib clip doesn't count) I wish it had been colder longer as she's still not shifting the last bit of weight.

I haven't put one rug on Ben all winter. He is still fat!

Mine also:(chloe is just about okay according to vet but madam is porky and I have tried so hard, between myself and OH we've tried (given her injury restrictions) to walk her in hand as much as possible and now I'm riding her daily - but it is a struggle with a good doer. I sometimes long for a poor one!

newrider.com