I forgot to twist riens while putting a horse back in the stall

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
So I've realised that after a yesterday's lessons i forgot to twice the rians of the horse I was riding when I was putting her back in her stall and I know the importance of doing that. I feel terrible about I hope it wasn't long before someone notticed and nothing drastic happened

Worst case scenario is that the horse broke the reins. If they get caught on something then leather reins will snap long before the horse is injured.

Reactions: Toz and Huggy
As the others have said - don't beat yourself up we have all been there. I can remember a sound telling off for exactly that as a child, and the reins did get broken much to my shame. With time all those seemingly tiresome rules become second nature and I now realise each and every one of them had good horse sense behind them, as you obviously know yourself already :)

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
I was like that - I always fussed and even drove back to the yard one day. So it may help you Ray Ray if I tell you what the yard said to me.

They told me I didnt need to worry what I had done - They are professionals, it is their job and responsibility to make sure the horses are all right - to check if students like me forget to shut the door or to twist the reins.

I now ride at a yard where horses are not left bridled and if we need to leave them for a bit, the reins are looped over the stirrup irons - the stirrup irons having run up the leathers.

Every yard one goes to one has to learn their own particular way of doing things. And I do like riding with reins that are not all curled from being twisted up.

newrider.com