I got to ride at last!

selside

Jul 1, 2010
Yorkshire Dales
I have been feeling sorry for myself recently...:(

Dear old mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, and although she's at the grand old age of 89 it's still hard to see her slowly losing the person she was. I am her main carer, and what with one thing and another it's been hard to find time to get up to the RS at all. I have felt very much 'outside the circle' of my old livery/RS pals.

But I finally got up there this morning, for a good old chat, a mug of coffee and a good old smell of horses. They were all very sweet - some now more than others about what's been going on - and it was really lovely, the RS technically being closed while RI has a short holiday. So we mooched about, and chatted, watched the dentist at work and eventually got a neddy out to polish and brush up.

So while others relish their XC training sessions, showing exploits, mastering bend and impulsion I was scrubbing up an extremely fat Fell pony. Bless her, a week without work, brought in every day to keep her away from the ever growing grass and she was still more than a bit rotund. Dusty rumped, tail part rubbed, low bellied and chunky it may not have been a pretty sight, but it was all I needed to cheer me up! Me and a granny livery on her big Dales pottered up the lane in a light breeze and up the fell. Just walk and trot for half and hour or so, but I could have sung with delight (even if I was mounted on a mini beast who was almost as wide and she was tall).

God bless ponies, with their non-judgemental willingness to plod eagerly up the road with a plump unfit 50 something on their backs. It wasn't really riding as we know it, but boy was it good!

Sorry to hear about your mum. My dad was diagnosed late last year and he is 87 but it does not make it any easier and sometimes it makes me sad. But, on the upside he is still well in himself etc. He is taking medication is your mum?
So glad to hear about your lovely time at the stables. I know just what you mean. I do very little in terms of "real" riding but the bit I do never fails to cheer me up / work as an energy giver. I hope you get lots more similar rides and pony sessions.:)

Thank you, Mrs T

It was a really nice change. I have organised carers to call my place 2 days a week, so I plan and ride once a week if I can. I can't do it all myself. We did try the meds for her, but they had a disastrous effect (hallucinations, appetite gone, lots of upset) so we have quietly gone back to managing things ourselves. On the bright side she is stable, and still living alone in her very nice, light toasty warm bungalow and finding some enjoyment in life!

I wish I'd had a camera with me this morning - it was not a look you often see in the glossy horse magazines. Cue barefoot scruffy pony pootling along with an equally scruffy rider in a 'must wash it NOW' hi-vis. We did manage to do the gates mounted though - another hooray for ponies!

Alzheimer's is so tough to deal with. Your pony morning sounds like it was just what you needed as a pick me up though, long may that last.

Glad to hear you're able to find some time for yourself. It's so common to see caregivers forget to take care of themselves while caring for loved ones.

I can completely identify with your morning with the horses. My mum had vascular dementia and the horses were my sanity and respite. Just the smell of their necks and their soft muzzles seemed to make the difficult times with her illness, less tough.
If a slow moochy hack on a warm autumn day could be bottled and prescribed on the NHS, they'd save millions. :)

Best wishes to your mum.

Sorry to hear about your Mum, your pony ride was just what you needed and I bet you your pony didn't care what either she or you looked like. To me that's what it's all about, the sheer enjoyment of being in the moment with your pony and all your worries disappear for that wee while. Certainly what keeps me sane.

Sorry to hear about your Mum, your pony ride was just what you needed and I bet you your pony didn't care what either she or you looked like. To me that's what it's all about, the sheer enjoyment of being in the moment with your pony and all your worries disappear for that wee while. Certainly what keeps me sane.

Yup, I guess that's why equine therapy exist.

newrider.com