i got what i wanted for xmas!

Cynnycal

Oct 24, 2001
Chicago IL
Visit site
i got a gift certificate for three lessons at the stable i ride at. yippee!
i have a question though. what is a hack? i was reading a post "need more practice" and i can identify with what she said about feeling like you need more practice. my problem is that i only have one half hour lesson every now and then (whenever i can afford it) and since it's so short, i dont' feel i'm getting anywhere. i'd like an opportunity to just ride for awhile on my own to get my own feel for it, i dont think my school offers things like that (or if they do i'm sure it's too expensive for me.) i've never heard of a hack before, is that like a trail ride?
if it is, i think the trails are closed over here, it's extremely cold out, and i dont'ever see anybody heading out on them. kinda sucks that i live in the middle of a city, trails and fields and all that aren't easy to come by.
any advice on how i can get in more 'practice' time? i wonder if i could volunteer to excersize some of the horses. i'm not a very experienced rider though, i'm not sure they'd want me working on their horses with no supervision.
ugh...help.

A hack is like a trail. Not sure what the real difference is!
How much are your lessons? Are they private?
You may fuind somewhere else cheeper and groups lessons are usually cheeper too. That was you could ride regularly
smileyCHANGE.gif

Originally posted by qwerty
A hack is like a trail. Not sure what the real difference is!

I'm quite sure it's just different terminology for the same thing, with it just depending on which side of the pond you're on.

And yes, some of us do go on hacks at this time of year (even if there's a slight temperature variation between our current locations! :D )

ah, okay, hacks must equal trails then.
yea, actually when i went for my lesson today, i was in the middle of asking my boyfriend if he thinks the trails are open in this weather when a breathtaking appaloosa came galloping off the trail. absolutely beautiful against the snow and trees.
ahhhh, i wish i had a horse i could take out.
i'm gonna look into how i can go about getting out there.
i rode the most difficult horse today! but i loved it. i guess something should have registered in my head when i brought him out in the ring and another trainer there said, "Morgan's been REALLY good today, you're lucky to be on him." i thought, what does she mean by that?? but i really enjoyed the challenge. it actually made me use things i learned, instead of the horse instintively doing it cuz he's been doing it for so long, and knows it.
sorry for blabbing....

newrider.com