I has splashed out!

the ugliest sheep ive ever seen are beltex, eeurgh, they look like squashed frogs lol lol

recently heard to get a 5th share in a texel tup was going to be tens of thousands :eek: !!!

I'm with you on the beltex. Ugly buggers. Squashed frogs, that's one way to describe them. It made me laugh.
I like my Wiltshire Horns. Ive just brought a new ram to use on my flock this year.

Puzzled by this "I has" - also used by Frances. Is it Shetland grammar? Would expect I ha' . Maybe "we has" with s in the plural?
If its playing childishness over buying sheep - then not to my taste.

More seriously if these sheep were specially bred in the Netherlands and if the current stock lamb early, why cant they (or you) breed a special type that lambs later for places like Shetland?

Lighten up Skib! If you don't like it don't open the thread, or even read all of the title.

Early lambing is common,and preferred by many farmers as it means stock are bigger for the early markets. It's not a problem if they're brought in to lamb, & I very much doubt that any owner who'd spent good money on quality stock would want them lambing unsupervised up on the hills no matter what the time of year.

Skib surely with have so many people on this forum from all corners of the world, we surely cant all have to post titles that are to your liking and validation? What a strange thing to comment about. What your expectations are about the local dialect here vary greatly from what you may of heard or read.

"In common with any recognised form of speech, the Shetland dialect has a consistent pattern of usage - a grammatical form which exists in everyday speech and in dialect writing. Those who regard the Shetland dialect as `broken' or 'corrupt' English will no doubt dismiss the notion that it can have a grammar. They usually subscribe to the idea that there is one 'correct' version of speech based on a pre-ordained grammar, any deviation from which is 'slang' or, in this case, 'bad English'. But grammar is descriptive and not prescriptive. Speech developed in a particular area over a period of time will naturally acquire distinctive patterns and fairly consistent forms of usage"

“I has” isnt shetland dialect lol lol.. I say it... it’s a form of childlike speech that people sometimes use, that I used when I have done something ‘bad’ :D Eg, bought some more schneeps that I shouldn’t have, usually accompanied by a snigger and a cheesy grin. My husband knows if I appear sniggering and shuffling about saying “ohhh hehee i has had a spending accident” etc that I am about to be in deep trouble indeed :D

I have Kerryhills, a welsh hillbreed. I will lamb early, indoors because they are too valuable to risk and simply i dont want lambing to clash with foaling time.

ooh haha you’ve no idea... if you ever get the chance walk up the sheep lines before a big show. More prep than for horses in many cases, trimming and dying and primping. The Zwarbles are all rugged and wrapped beforehand as well. There is a LOT of work in prepping some breeds of sheep.

Reactions: Trewsers
texels are bred for meat mainly i think, they have a really good up to weight carcass and when you use a texel tup on a more maternal, lighter type of breed they make a good commercial cross. Im learning all this at the moment too, who knew sheep were so fascinating!

these are my kerryhills, the tup has just gone in with them :D

kerryhills_zpsoqmaj8ae.jpg

Reactions: Calluna and joellie
IMG_20150309_163350.jpg IMG_20140309_173123.jpg
Not one of my best pics but this is my ram Eliminator.IMG_20150309_163350.jpg IMG_20140309_173123.jpg IMG_20140417_094858.jpg
When there poorly I get soft they get to come in the house. Even trained to use the dog bed.

The ladies. There's always one that has to be king of the castle.
IMG_20150309_163350.jpg

Are Texels meat or wool beasties? They look good and sturdy whatever they are!
Generally used to cross with smaller Shetland crosss to chunk them up to make a meatier carcase. The wool is no use for the Shetland knitting industry, Shetland wool is of a particular quality and properties, Texel is a much thicker fibre . The wool brokers will buy it but it gets shipped south to spinners who want that kind of fleece.

Reactions: Calluna
Puzzled by this "I has" - also used by Frances. Is it Shetland grammar? Would expect I ha' . Maybe "we has" with s in the plural?
If its playing childishness over buying sheep - then not to my taste.

More seriously if these sheep were specially bred in the Netherlands and if the current stock lamb early, why cant they (or you) breed a special type that lambs later for places like Shetland?
I am not responsible for folk speaking in a similar way to me.
The whole idea is to lamb indoors early with a breed of sheep that is commercially viable.(go and listen to the Archers or watch Countryfile) I used to have a large flock of inbye and ootbye Shetland hill sheep. They lambed outside in May and these sheep command crap prices at the sales, . When the buyers come the lambs are not well grown on and small. But I was not aware I had to run my sheep and animal husbandry, or my use of the English language by you. I shall try, in future not to use any similar turn of phrase to any other NR member in case you find it distasteful.....not aware Frances had ever bought any sheep anyway.

Last edited:
texels are bred for meat mainly i think, they have a really good up to weight carcass and when you use a texel tup on a more maternal, lighter type of breed they make a good commercial cross. Im learning all this at the moment too, who knew sheep were so fascinating!

these are my kerryhills, the tup has just gone in with them :D

kerryhills_zpsoqmaj8ae.jpg
I so nearly went for Kerryhills, but don;t know anyone with any here to see how they cope. They are a bonnie breed.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
well it’s off to the aberdeen pony sales today so lets hope Im not back later with a thread entitled..

“ I has been baaaaaaaad “ :D
Is there anything in the catalogue that has caught your eye. Attendance and prices in Lerwick were abysmal.

Last edited:
newrider.com