I hate job hunting!!!

Rubic

Equine Karaoke Queen
Apr 15, 2012
Glasgow
As some of you know I have been looking for a new job for a while now. I'm bored with my current job and I just don't have enough to do most days and the money is a bit rubbish.

I applied for a job before Christmas and got an interview but someone had more experience than me so I didn't get it.

I put in my cv for a better job in my current workplace and was told I was one of the top candidates at the time but now I've heard that they are bringing someone in for an interview next week (they've already contacted them). So now I'm pretty sure that I won't get that job either.

I heard about another job going (sounds interesting and it would certainly keep me busy and is good money with a company car etc) through someone in my work so I emailed my cv off yesterday. Now I'm just waiting to hear back. It wasn't an officially advertised post so I thought I might have had an email back about it quite quickly.

I just feel so fed up of it all. I have a constant feeling of just never being good enough and I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get out of this rut. My life has been going pretty rubbish for the past year and I am trying so hard to turn it around but feel like I'm getting nowhere.

Sorry for the moan!

Well least you are doing something positive about it - you are trying and even tho atm it might seem like nothing is happening, eventually it will. I know it often gets said but everything does seem to happen for a reason - and if you didn't get the job then there's a better one out there with your name on it!
Try not to get too down - I think the more interviews you have it can only make you better next time around.

What do you currently do? Are you near any mililtary units as they advertise via a website and they are nearly always looking for admin people

I'm a scientist, work for cancer research. Sounds interesting yes?! Unfortunately I'm support services so I make up reagents, order in stock and organise servicing of equipment (general skivvy). It is very boring and some days I have nothing to do. I have a feeling that our department will be axed soon as there just isn't demand for our work. Really there is nowhere else to go in this department, absolutely nothing in this job is going to get me moving up the career ladder.

The internal position I applied for was an actual research post which would be interesting and I'd actually get to use my brain and my degree! By the sounds of things they must have someone in mind for it already and the interview is just a formality.

The one I applied for the other day is an account manager for a scientific sales company. Good money and a car and I'd be travelling around my area (Glasgow and surrounding) 4 days a week and working from home 1 day. It sounds interesting, I'd learn a lot, get out chatting to people (which I'm good at and enjoy!). Lots of room for career progression.

I don't think I could just do admin, I hate having to sit in my office most of the day just now. I think admin jobs generally don't have that good a wage either. I'm bored just now and I feel stupid. I do a few menial tasks then I end up sat infront of a computer with nothing better to do than constantly click refresh on facebook.

It sounds as if there are lots of possibilities for you out there, Rubic. I know the actual process of job-hunting is a pain, but if you keep going with your qualifications and experience you're bound to find something good. I suppose you've got your cv and application letter on your computer, so you can just tweak them for each application?

I've certainly got experience, far more than most people my age to be honest as I've worked in a research position before and also in a commercial lab and I worked the whole way through uni too. The issue is that there aren't a lot of jobs at the moment and many of them are contracts for 1-3 years or maternity cover etc and I just can't risk not having a job after that. I want a job with a bit more security too!

My CV is ready to go really, I just tweak it each time to highlight the experience I have relevant to each position. Same with my covering letter.

The guy in my work spoke to the person I emailed my CV to and apparently I'm perfect for the job however most of his team is quite young and he is worried he'll be told (from higher up) to hire someone a bit older.

There's just so many "buts" right now. "You're prefect for the job but..." It gets frustrating and wearing after a while. I keep getting my hopes up only for nothing to come of it.

newrider.com