I have a problem with clicker training

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Hopefully someone has some suggestions.

It could well be that I'm doing something wrong and I'm looking into getting some lessons in the spring. Ale is fab at targeting with an object like a cone but when I use a target on a stick he sometimes touches with his nose, but sometimes just grabs it in his mouth I've tried reinforcing the nose touch and it all seems to be going well and then he will just grab it in his mouth, it's almost as though he gets confused and thinks it's going to be food.

Has anyone got any suggestions of a target on a stick I can use that he won't confuse in the slightest for food, I was thinking a table tennis bat but that might be a little big. I use my hand as a fist sometimes and he is always just touching that with his nose, but I need a bit more reach, anything like a tennis ball on a stick/pool noodle etc I think he will just try to eat

Reactions: Jessey
Is this a new problem? I’m just wondering if the paddock enrichment exercises you’ve been doing are just making him more comfortable with exploring with his mouth?
Is it really an issue if he does explore with his mouth, so long as he realises it’s not food and subsequently leaves it alone?

Reactions: MrA
Is this a new problem? I’m just wondering if the paddock enrichment exercises you’ve been doing are just making him more comfortable with exploring with his mouth?
Is it really an issue if he does explore with his mouth, so long as he realises it’s not food and subsequently leaves it alone?
Come to think of it it has increased recently so could well be linked!

The concern for me is that he does it out the blue so I might click accidentally and then he will start thinking it's a behaviour I want. He also gives it repeated goes throughout a session, if it was just once I think I would probably leave it.

I'm not sure what prompts him to do it, going to try some clicker using just my hand as the target this morning so will see how he gets on with that. I've seen larger float targets that you can get and will probably try one of those, aswell as hopefully some groundwork lessons next year 🤞

I think some horses are just grabbers. Billy is where as Chunky isnt. Billy has to explore everything with his teeth. Hes never grown out of it.

Just be sure you are not rewarding that nibble. I know im very slow at my click and Billy could easily be mistaking my cues.

I use a riding whip or an old broken dressage whip. My short whip has one of those big leather flaps on the end.

The dressage whip the bar inside got broke so i pulled that out and then the flex i just tied into a series of knots so it looked a bit like a ball on the end.

Have a look at Melanie S Watson on YouTube. Theres a really great video that she did while back that if you have a grabby horse that snatches at your treat in the hand, she shows you how stop this and at what point to reward. I need to look at it again to remind myself.
I think it would also apply to grabbing the aid.

A normal schooling whip with a rope. Similar to Monty Roberts. And as used in free work by Tik Maynard.
Why bother to click.

For some horses they understand a click better. I certainly notice with Billy as hes an explorer with his head If i click at the reward point he will suddenly stop exploring and just freeze. He has connected that oh i figured it out as i got a click. So now i can have a treat. Hes not a great one for whips and ive actually found he wont stay connected with me as well if i use the whip.

Why bother to click.
It's a bridge, between the correct behaviour and the time they get the reward. It helps to pinpoint which behaviour is correct and I find it much more accurate

I've tried numerous things on a stick, foam, pool noodle and tennis ball and he does the same with all of them. I used my hand this morning and no grabbing or even attempt to grab and just touching with his nose which is what ideally I'd like.

Im trying to be really careful with when I click, so he doesn't get the idea that I want him to grab it.

Thanks for the suggestions, will have a watch of some videos and see if we can find a different stick that works for us

The thing that crossed my mind was to take an old glove of yours, or a new glove but one that you've worn for a few days, and stuff it with old tights or whatever and put it on your stick. So that it is like your hand, which he knows not to grab.

Reactions: MrA and Jessey
The thing that crossed my mind was to take an old glove of yours, or a new glove but one that you've worn for a few days, and stuff it with old tights or whatever and put it on your stick. So that it is like your hand, which he knows not to grab.
This is a very good idea, I have alot of old gloves! Thank you ☺️

newrider.com