I have never ever rode horses

melodie1

May 10, 2016
Hi I wanted to get booked into a riding school in herfordshire to go for horse riding lessons every week, I wanted to get my own horse, and I have decided to get a gypsy cob which was available on preloved . I have NEVER rode a horse in my life but the person said that the horse is suitable for novices and she has only been doing canters and trots since that the horse has not been in a riding school, as soon as I get the horse I would get her to a livery farm so they can take care of her every now and then since I dont have a big enough garden, I would also be riding her in riding school. I would just like to know some information and how much It would cost to put your horse in livery stables ( UK)
I did see a couple of videos of how to ride a horse , It looks easy but Im sure It wont be that easy in real life.
Please tell me how much it would be the cost for full livery
How much would you have to pay each month for them to feed the horse?
How much to give it bedding?
How much to shoe it?

Attachments

• 417c7217b3914bb1a4c2a04e70ce5eb1.jpg
    417c7217b3914bb1a4c2a04e70ce5eb1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 22
It's generally best to have a lesson first to see if you actually enjoy riding and then book further lessons. Jumping into ownership too soon (even if you are going to be keeping one on an assisted yard) can be a recipe for disaster. Lessons are great and you can have either group or individual. I would get advice from a riding school on which would suit. I definitely wouldn't buy a horse at your stage. As for livery costs they vary depending on whereabouts in the uk you are.

Definitely ride for at least 6 lessons at a good riding school to find out whether or not you like riding horses.
And before buying you need to find out what shape and height of horse suits your body shape best and your weight.
Keeping your own horse costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time.

As I think this post is a wind up I will let others reply.

It would be a pretty thick seller to sell you a horse when you haven't ever ridden one.
It looks like a youngster anyway.

Don't buy the horse. Tell your parents not to buy it.

I hope its a wind up, but if not please go get some lessons first (contessas near Ware is good), a horse cannot live alone in a garden and if you're in Hertfordshire you're looking at £480+ per month for full livery, plus of course farrier, vet visits etc on top.

I do hope that this is a wind up also. However if not, have a number of riding lessons, 4 is not enough and see if you actually enjoy horse riding before getting one. A garden isn't big enough. Its not just the livery, bedding and feed. Its also the shoeing, worming, tack cost, jabs, physio, fuel costs and any unexpected vet bills which can easily been in 100s. Having a horse is not the same as having a hamster!

Reactions: OwnedbyChanter
If you have never ridden a horse, how do you know that you will enjoy riding one?

All of us horse owners will tell you that you spend about 10% of your time actually riding, and the other 90% looking after the horse. It's hard work and you need complete dedication and a fair bit of money!

If you have never ridden a horse, how do you know that you will enjoy riding one?

All of us horse owners will tell you that you spend about 10% of your time actually riding, and the other 90% looking after the horse. It's hard work and you need complete dedication and a fair bit of money!

Or in my case 100% looking after the horse lol

Giving the benefit of the doubt here:
Hi I wanted to get booked into a riding school in herfordshire
Are you in Hertfordshire or Herefordshire? Getting a horse before ever sitting on one is like watching a video, buying a car and driving it on the motorway without any lessons: an expensive and dangerous plan. A few lessons will be well worth the money. Good places to find a riding school are http://www.bhs.org.uk/enjoy-riding/find-a-place-to-ride or http://www.abrs-info.org/Riding_Centres_Map-226.htm?cty=0

Attached are two documents from the British Horse to give you an outline of what buying and keeping a horse involves (you probably would need full or training livery for quite a while which is the most expensive option). In reality this is the bare minimum because horses love to spring (expensive) surprises on their owners!

Attachments

• The Cost of Keeping a Horse or Pony.pdf
    583.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Buying and Owning Your First Horse.pdf
    295.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Kite_Rider
It's generally best to have a lesson first to see if you actually enjoy riding and then book further lessons. Jumping into ownership too soon (even if you are going to be keeping one on an assisted yard) can be a recipe for disaster. Lessons are great and you can have either group or individual. I would get advice from a riding school on which would suit. I definitely wouldn't buy a horse at your stage. As for livery costs they vary depending on whereabouts in the uk you are.
I thanks for the advice, Im am in watford ( herfordshire)

Reactions: chev
To be fair I think a lot of people who have just started horse riding or wanting to go horse riding are a little shocked how much it is now to have a lesson!:eek:

I did visit a horse livery stable yesterday and she said it was £20 each month for horse fodder/water and £50 a month for shoeing a horse/vet checks and worming

To be fair I think a lot of people who have just started horse riding or wanting to go horse riding are a little shocked how much it is now to have a lesson!:eek:

Yh your probably right, I just have a great intrest of horses, even since I was 6 I wanted to become a rider.
hmm, I would like to go to a riding school where you go riding every week

I do hope that this is a wind up also. However if not, have a number of riding lessons, 4 is not enough and see if you actually enjoy horse riding before getting one. A garden isn't big enough. Its not just the livery, bedding and feed. Its also the shoeing, worming, tack cost, jabs, physio, fuel costs and any unexpected vet bills which can easily been in 100s. Having a horse is not the same as having a hamster!

Ok thank you, I will try and get booked with a riding school .

Reactions: chev
I am in Buckinghamshire so slightly cheaper than Watford. I pay £220 per month per horse that's for a field and a stable nothing else. hay hard feed shoes vets etc on top in your area shoes alone are about £65 a set every six weeks unless bare foot.

I do not get any help as I am diy. I see them twice a day every day just for basic care.

think long and hard before buying a living creature.

get some lessons and I mean more than a couple this is not a hobby but a life style that can damage or kill a person.

Reactions: lauren123
Yh your probably right, I just have a great intrest of horses, even since I was 6 I wanted to become a rider.
hmm, I would like to go to a riding school where you go riding every week

By all means go to a riding school, have a number of lessons and see if you enjoy it. Some people do and some don't. I aren't sure how much it is for a lesson now last time I looked near me it was around 18 pounds for a group lesson. If you compare it to owning horses, Apart from things like fly spray/ grooming brushes 18 pounds would only get me a wormer!

newrider.com