I have officially been around horses too long

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I swapped her shampoo for mine, because she didn't appear to like hers! :rolleyes:

So what do you use on your head?
And what do you buy for the horse? (I only bath tail and feathers for her messy seasons)

Johnsons baby shampoo has always been fine, but it's making her itch. Swapped to a different Johnsons and still the same.
So she's "had" to have mine. :D:p until I can source something ride for the delicate flower.

Reactions: Trewsers

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I buy a 5 litre container of the Battles medicated shampoo for the horse. But you can use it on the dog too. I usually decant into an old shampoo bottle for the dog who gets shampooed in bathroom shower. On occasion I run out of my own shampoo I have used the battles medicated on myself. I actually love the smell too.

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I use Bloom white horse shampoo or cowboy magic yellow out for best. I found the medicated shampoo seemed a bit harsh, his skin was a bit flaky. I try not to shampoo his body too much though - I love the lavender wash for washing him down after a sweaty ride. Tesco own raspberry conditioner for mane and tail and cowboy magic detangler and shine to get the knots out. I don’t even brush my own hair, let alone condition it lol.

A lot of people on the yard just use washing up liquid and it does seem to get white patches really white. I think Raf might be too sensitive though, plus it dries out my hands to the point where they crack and bleed so I don’t want to use it anyway.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I swapped her shampoo for mine, because she didn't appear to like hers! :rolleyes:

So what do you use on your head?
And what do you buy for the horse? (I only bath tail and feathers for her messy seasons)

Johnsons baby shampoo has always been fine, but it's making her itch. Swapped to a different Johnsons and still the same.
So she's "had" to have mine. :D:p until I can source something ride for the delicate flower.

Lol now you know she ought to be a hair model for L'oreal..........:D

Last year I confess I used a bottle of horse shampoo on my own hair as I was mightily sick of the shade and wanted rid pronto, so with it being only semi permanent, washing it out seemed like a good option. Hmmm. It was Gallop I think? Smelled like aniseed. Didn't lather much (but then we all know not to judge efficacy on lather where shampoo is concerned). Don't think it speeded the colour shift much! But it was a change.
I rarely bathe any of ours, though I did recently buy Johnsons no more tears for Zi as he was looking like he could do with a bath. Ended up using most of it myself:p

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I use Bloom white horse shampoo or cowboy magic yellow out for best. I found the medicated shampoo seemed a bit harsh, his skin was a bit flaky. I try not to shampoo his body too much though - I love the lavender wash for washing him down after a sweaty ride. Tesco own raspberry conditioner for mane and tail and cowboy magic detangler and shine to get the knots out. I don’t even brush my own hair, let alone condition it lol.

A lot of people on the yard just use washing up liquid and it does seem to get white patches really white. I think Raf might be too sensitive though, plus it dries out my hands to the point where they crack and bleed so I don’t want to use it anyway.

Yes even Fairy is quite harsh on hands, mine suffer if I forget my Marigolds!!
What what - you don't use conditioner on your hair!:eek:

Reactions: Bodshi

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I don't condition either. I leave it to dry naturally as well.
It has left a lovely shine @Trewsers but she wasn't impressed. She had a good dusty roll and she still came in shiny.

I wonder if they do actually have horse models to test out shampooing products.

Reactions: Trewsers

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
Good old aloe vera shampoo on mine. Wonderful stuff. I don't treat myself that nicely, just grab one of whatever they have in Poundland!

Reactions: newforest

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Good old aloe vera shampoo on mine. Wonderful stuff. I don't treat myself that nicely, just grab one of whatever they have in Poundland!
I tried to get some for Raf - I thought it would be quite simple but the only one I could find in an actual shop was in Holland & Barrett and the bottles were tiny and expensive! Where do you get yours from?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I haven't washed Ziggy since we entered a show in 2014! I use aloe vera shampoo on him when I do.

I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and find anything with sulphates and parabens makes it worse, so I use AVEDA shampoo at the moment. It's too expensive to wash a horse with!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I haven't washed Ziggy since we entered a show in 2014!

An advantage of s gelding perhaps. :D
She is so messy with her in season widdles that every three weeks I need to do the back feathers because she pongs otherwise.
Guessing nature would have her in foal so she would only piddle once a year.:rolleyes:

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I normally use cheap tea tree shampoo for the horses but recently treated Jess to a bottle of whal copper tones, it smells like bubble gum and leaves her positively gleaming, it will last about 5 years as I only bath once or twice a year normally. I do wash down regularly when sweaty, I have lavender wash, citronella wash and a liniment, I just use which ever comes to hand :)

I've used mane and tail on my hair several times when my hair has got really knotty at an all weekend show :)

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I use a vegan, cruelty free, sulphate free, paraben free brand called Nature's World on me. It might even be gluten free, actually ...! Currently using the coconut water version.

I use the same shampoo on Pete as I want to be as ethical as possible, but struggling to find a mane & tail spray that would be ethical!

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I use a vegan, cruelty free, sulphate free, paraben free brand called Nature's World on me. It might even be gluten free, actually ...! Currently using the coconut water version.

I use the same shampoo on Pete as I want to be as ethical as possible, but struggling to find a mane & tail spray that would be ethical!
I am trying Lincoln as a tail spray.
But you want something thats natural for Pete?

Reactions: PePo

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK

Coconut oil works great on manes and tails :)

domane

Gracie's mum
Jul 31, 2005
I've always been tempted to try this.....

Screenshot_20180809-091303-600x600.jpg
I guess it is meant to appeal to horse owners (it is marketed for humans) but I guess you could use it on your horse...it does say mane and tail after all!

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I've always been tempted to try this.....

View attachment 94505
I guess it is meant to appeal to horse owners (it is marketed for humans) but I guess you could use it on your horse...it does say mane and tail after all!

They were selling it in Sainsbury a little while back. They had some reduced to clear one day. But I didn't buy any to try.

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Shop around on price. Not tried though.
I just grab off the shelf. Got to use up hers first.

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I am trying Lincoln as a tail spray.
But you want something thats natural for Pete?

It's not necessarily the chemical part that's important to me- it's that the product and it's ingredients are cruelty free (not tested on animals) :)