I know there are drivers out there!

I would drive my old Hafinger in a tub cart as he is SO safe, I could lie in a drunken stupor in the cart and he'd take me home, observing all the relevant road signs!:D :D and speed limits.

I wouldn't like to drive novice or highly strung horses in one. I have never crashed a tub cart, only my gig, and come very close to over turning the 4 wheel wagonette.

No tell a lie I did turn over my 4 wheel exercise cart, thank goodness my old Haflinger was in the shafts as a single, he turned round and looked at me as if to say
" what the devil are you playing at back there - why do I have to work with such amateurs!" He stood like a rock while we put it bakc on its wheels. Lucky that time, it could have ended in manure so easily.

If you promise not to laugh, I turned a two wheeler over at the walk.! Yes, it can be done ! Literally wasn't concentrating and enjoying the view and took the banked corner too sharply, and there I was looking and feeling a prat - gracious I've fallen out. L

Had a lovely drive out today, pity about the pouring rain. Am seriously considering getting one of those amphibian tracked vehicles to stick behind the nag, and setting her up with a pair of waterwings. L

We were out for a drive a few days ago (haven't got out since due to weather -wet ponies!) and I think we needed a tank! We are up on Hadrian's Wall and have loads of great off road drives (in fact we have to drive a mile and a half to even get on a road if we wanted to). But at the moment the tracks are really wet and muddy, I am suposed to be giving a driving demonstration at our local agricultural college next week - and the vehicle is coated thick with mud....that'll be a fun cleaning job ! ;)

re: tipping over, my experience has been much like Wally's - we tipped up (going too fast and tight around an obstable in a one day event) and the ponies just stood there and looked at us as if we were stupid!

Esther

Yep, we will all need paddle boats the way things are changing.
Hadrians Wall looks like this at christmas..brrrrrrr, well up until a few years ago it always did. Nice sharp frosts for xmass, where did they go?
Could not get down to Gilsland Spar this xmass, so deep in mud
:mad: same at Eden,grrrr.

Learning to drive

Hi, I am following the thread with interest as I am about to drive too.
What I really need now is someone to help me in the NE! I have looked at the list of instructors but there are none near here.
So I have the pony,who drives, and was given a wonderful Christmas present of a driving starter kit. I need to sort out one or two parts of the cob size harness though as they are a bit small for my chunky 14 hands pony. I have a basic vechicle ready, which I have yet to fit to the pony. We are nearly there!

You don't actually drive along the top of the wall do you? looks a bit nobbly ! Fabulous photo.
Am seriously considering getting some of that synthetic stuff, the leather is SUCH a pain. Has to be cleaned every time and as she's big the harness correspondingly weighs a ton, and takes ages. They don't do French collars tho' and she does work so well in hers. Aren't I lazy ?
Yup, the cart would do an off roader proud. L

Afraid the top of the wall is a bit nobbly to drive along and I don;t think I'd be too popular (I don't think it would do my career much good either - I'm an archaeologist!):D

We do drive off road on the north side of the wall though and if any of you are familiar with the film 'Robin Hood Prince of Thieves'- the oak tree the boy climbs at the start is opposite the hill I drive over so I get stunning views that no-one else can see as we drive on the private farm tracks :D

The display I meant to be doing next friday, although it keeps getting moved dates/cancelled is at Kirkley Hall College in Ponteland. As far as I am aware it is students only as it is during the day...but I could find out...

I don't teach (I have only got my BDS Level 1) but I am always happy to help people or have people come out for a drive with me to have a go - I have done this quite a few times as there is such a lack of instructors up here. Oh and of course I do it for free which is always an advantage :D

Where are you in Northumberland? Feel free to pm me if you want to talk more. I am always keen to help get people started as I love talking driving and it is great to get someone else hooked too...;)

I have been driving for 12 years and have mainly concentrated on driving trials so we do synthetic harness (which gets thrown in the washing machine) and a marathon vehicle rather than anything posh....Wally I was gazing with admiration/envy at the lovely vehicles on your photos on another post (and the lovely ponies as well of course!)

I'll try to get some photos scanned asap.

Esther

What do you mean ! ONLY got my BDS 1, thats jolly good. It is a hard exam with very high standards, and you do everything in one go. They have changed it now so that one does modules. Have yet to find someone who has got their head round it. Have you seen the new syllabus? I don't understand a word of it.Its also very irritating as one is meant to keep a log book, and I don't know if it can be backdated. How do I get my tandem bars signed for when they're at least 3-4 yrs old ? Any ideas ? Cheers L

Okay, I was being modest about the BDS1 :D it was tough (especially as I took it when I was 15, I haven't had time to do any more since..). I meant it doesn't put me into the realm of being able to teach driving officially.

I don't really know much about the tandem bars I'm afraid - except that I want to get mine when my new tandem is up and running (which may be a while as I am still breaking in the leader!)....so I'm not much help on that.

Esther, thank you so much for your reply. I will send you a private message.
We did a couple of lectures at Kirkley last year on the topic of worm counts. The students seemed to be enthusiastic, though I am sure they would be far more interested in a driving demo.

I am based North of Morpeth so could easily travel over to see you. Its a problem to get started with driving, but I am sure we will be fine once we start! Do you belong to the BDA? I see the contact person lives near me and I am wondering if I should ring?

Esther

If you ever do a driving lecturers plese let me know too. If I can get there I will. Are youa member of any driving club. My friend was (I don't know if she still is) a member of a club and one of the members had a lectuer day which we attended and it was great. I had Merlin then and he would not lunge I mentioned it to one of the other members who invited us back to his home to give me a lesson in lunging with both lunge lines as he trains his horses this way with the cart. I had an awful job geting used to it. I am slowly getting the hang of it with Rhi but not with the cart attached.

'I don't teach (I have only got my BDS Level 1) but I am always happy to help people or have people come out for a drive with me to have a go - I have done this quite a few times as there is such a lack of instructors up here. Oh and of course I do it for free which is always an advantage :D '

Oh you will have to come visit and we can take Rhi out. Will let you know when I get the cart wheel fixed.

'great to get someone else hooked too...;)'

That happened to me when I too Copper on part loan and we had an accident. I could not drive so learned to drive him.

'I have been driving for 12 years and have mainly concentrated on driving trials so we do synthetic harness (which gets thrown in the washing machine) and a marathon vehicle rather than anything posh....Wally I was gazing with admiration/envy at the lovely vehicles on your photos on another post (and the lovely ponies as well of course!) '

I love going to the driving trials. Used to go to Alnwick. Do you still do them. I would love to have a go. Told my friend that if I ever got Rhi this far she would have to drive whilst I groomed :D

Lots of questions from you all....forgive me if I forget to answer some....

Gill - contact as many people you want to, especially in your area, the more the merrier! Drivers are like riders they all have different opinions and you can learn totally different things from them all...there is a big difference between Private Driving (show driving), Driving Trials and Scurry Driving etc just as there is between showjumping, dressage and showing!

I bet the BDS contact near you is George Shannon - am I right? I used to know him quite well (very nice man - he'll help you) but I haven't seen him for a couple of years as foot and mouth and then my PhD studies have curtailed my competative driving, although we'll be back with a vengence and hopefully a new tandem this year:D

Miriam - this lecture and demonstration at Kirkley Hall is my first official one, although I have done demonstrations at a couple of local shows and taught a few people to drive.

Have never managed to do a National driving trial through a combination of lack of finances :( and driving Shetlands (Lowther trials definately refuse to accept entries under 12hh and I have heard some others do too). We did qualify though, we have achieved intermediate at Club level (don't qualify for Open until I have done a National trial) - and we won both the championship event and the points championship one year with the Northumberland Carriage Driving Club :D now I am showing off - but it is satisfying when you are competing against horses!

anyway better go as this is long enough...

Miriam - I'll see you at the NE NR meet up, Oh and Gill are you coming since you are in the area? I'll try and bring more photos..

Esther, look forward to seeing you at the next tandem meet. Always a bed here +field (don't do stables ) here if its down this way. I did want to go to Balmoral this last year, but usual disorganisation on my part, plus the fact that my nag in wheeler tandem is faster than the leader so its a bit of a push on, not so fast scenario. I'm hoping my friend will let me have a go with his yet to put together pair, they'll fit together better. L

for those of you who were asking about my demonstration

If anyone is interested there will probably be a video done of my demonstration tomorrow (arrrghhh) for the use of the college, but I might see if I can get hold of a copy (if it is not too bad ).:eek: Don't expect miracles.....two little furry beasts charging around an arena...we start off trying to show off our 'nice' driving and it always degenerates into galloping around showing off our scurry driving skills :D I have problems convincing the Shetlands that dressage is necessary - but they are addicted to cones and obstacles because then you get to go fast and that is what Shetlands like best (mine do at least - I have one who is a real handful because he thinks all hills are designed for cantering down and seeing how fast your legs can go before you fall over :D and no he isn't a youngster - he is 22!)

newrider.com