I know there are drivers out there!

Sorry, video didn't materialise, the video camera had apparently been double booked......

Had an 'interesting' experience getting there through the ice and snow.....I'll tell you more when I have recovered :) Let me just say that I am glad I was driving my Shetlands as it included Gallie getting a leg over the pole of the pairs vehicle (not an experience I would recommend, but he just stood there while we sorted him out) and Mac trying out skiing.........I have decided that I like my ponies even better now - not a flicker of trouble from either - then they loaded in the wagon like a dream, came out of the other end and did a demonstration - despite it being the first time either of them had ever been in a sand arena! They really are priceless :D

Oh, and I forgot to say that, although I am worse the wear for the experience (mentally rather than physically) the ponies are in A1 condition today and even Mac isn't stiff although he is 22 and did a bit of sliding about.

If anyone is out there wondering why I did such a stupid thing as drive in icy conditions - we drove over the fields 99% of the way, it was when we hit the road (normally gritted) that we encountered the ice - had I known about this in advance I would not have started out, we had checked it in the car, but it didn't seem as bad as it turned out to be. But we are all safe and sound and none the worse for the experience, on the way back I didn't drive - we left the cart at the nearest farm and led them back to the field - I wasn't taking any chances...

The college have asked me back and I have agreed - providing it is summer ;)

Grief, you certainly had a time of it. Well done to you and your super ponies, they are obviously absolute stars. However did Gallie get his leg over the pole? good boy for not reacting. Must have given you a funny five mins ! I admire you for your effort, I would have gone home ! L

I have never seen a pony with their leg over the pole before - I'm not certain exactly what happened, but the head of the pole ended up stuck in a drift of snow which pushed it down (it is a sprung pole) low enough for his leg to go over in the confusion.

The only reason I didn't turn back was because I knew it would be horrendous getting back, whereas by the time we got to the worst we were almost at the wagon which was waiting to pick us up. I knew that by the time we got back it would have melted a bit so it would be easier for the ponies..

The ponies are absolute stars - they work on the principle of 'if in doubt - stand still and wait for Esther to think of a solution!'. Mac is quite confident in himself anyway (he taught me to drive), Gallie is more highly strung but we have had him since 6 months old so he trusts us.

He got a leg over the pole? that's a good one! a front leg or a back one? Must have been a front one by your description.

There is nothing like a bit of M&M intelligence in sticky situations, They get stuck, they have a think, then they look round and wait for you to sort them out.

newrider.com