I love my horse thread!

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
I have to share my ride this morning as I am extremely proud of myself and my horse!

I went hacking this morning with a friend from the yard, now this statement alone is an achievement as I only hack alone usually.

So off we trot down the road and come across a very very scary pony and trap!

There was a stand off, us two on horses, lady in cart... she offers to turn round and go back and we say no, its fine...

I wanted to get off as it was not happening but no, the other pony was going to lead us... until it said nope, too scary and reared and spun off...the pony in the trap was upset and wouldnt move

Sam was going to have to be brave and take himself, me and our companions past something he found very scary...

I encouraged and pushed even though every fibre of my being thought he was going to copy the rear and spin...

But no, Sam got us all past and did a little celebration trot when we were past...

Such a test, we only move to the yard a few weeks ago, he has never hacked with the mare or even anyone for 6 years and the cart he hates, but he trusted me and I pushed him as I trusted him...

I love my pony... and even I know I did very well this morning :)

Last week we ran into the hounds and we coped, I am loving all the obstacles we keep coming across!

So good to read that and he will get better and better the more he sees and copes with. Well ridden too. I might not have had to courage but as I find it so hard to dismount probably would have done the same as you, which usually worked.

Awh well done Sam...and Nat! Don't know about you, but I will never take these experiences for granted again. Not after the confidence struggles!

Flipo was being a tit on Friday night - the weather was a bit stormy and he was prancing about while tied up, getting scared of the tractor in the field opposite and the sheep. I untied him at one point incase he broke his headcollar, and he subsequently clipped my heel with his oversized dinner plates. Think eyes closed, watering, pain of which there is no equivalent. At this point I would have been questioning if I should ride. But nope. I tacked him up, got him to the block and knew without any doubt, that he would settle as soon as I got on.
These are the moments when you appreciate what a good horse you have and how much you love them!

Reactions: Trewsers and nat17
Its experiences you only get hacking out, and for me now, hacking out where others are hacking or enjoying the countryside too. Where I lived it was all private, sharing is much more fun and challenging.

Aw, how brave was Sam? That must have taken some doing, especially after he'd seen the other pony so scared. You must have a really good partnership!

That's really good! There are a few ponies and carts near my yard, I haven't come across them out hacking yet but it's probably only a matter of time. No idea how she'll react!

newrider.com