I might be on the verge of a breakdown here.....

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
I’m trying very hard to keep it together but.....

Oz- as per my previous post. Ongoing foot issues. Eventually decided to give barefoot a go. Theory being what have I too loose?
He can’t physically keep shoes on. I can’t afford to keep shoeing every two weeks.
He wasn’t sound in shoes anyway.
Top trimmer came out. He straight away said he has low level but ongoing laminitis. This makes such perfect sense to me. In fact I’ve asked both the vet and farrier if it could be and both said no, feeling a bit stupid I backed down and accepted that.
Trimmer guy was pretty chilled about his feet and thus gave me a huge boost and renewed enthusiasm. I’ve changed his chaff to Thunderbrooks, minimised grass maximised hay. Bought hoof armour with high hopes (which were dashed!!) and a set of boots.
He is however crippled. He’s fine in the field and stable but to and from is breaking my heart. I don’t know how long I can keep that up for.
I put so much into getting him going and it’s not been easy. I was happy for him to take time but had visions of hand walking him round the village and such like- this in my head still counted as his education and helping with keeping him happily hacking alone etc in truth I can’t even tie him up on the yard to fuss over as he’s so sore.

Part of the reasoning behind now being the time to do all this was it’s hard to keep two in proper work anyway and jakey is so fat but currently feeling so amazing and well that I’d concentrate on him.
Until he went lame suddenly in front. He’s only been back in work a year after a severe check ligament injury which I rehabbed him perfectly from ( he really was the best easiest patient!) it’s the same leg, same heat, same lameness same swelling. I think it’s re-occurred :(
Realistically he’s 20 now, although slightly mad and full of beans I’m not sure how fair it is to do another 6 months plus box rest so have been turning out quietly anyway :(

I may this week just put both in a weeks proper box rest and see if it helps either/both.
I’m just feeling a bit defeated! A few weeks back I was moaning about having to work two everyday!
I’m going to get the vet out again to check Jakes leg and maybe block Ozzy’s feet (?) to just be absolutely certain that’s the only issue here and as Carthorse suggested do a cushings test. Plan?

The immediate plan is to drink wine and be sad. Why do we have horses?

Could the walking to the field be something he might adjust to? I remember when Zi first came to us, minus shoes he was sore looking on the yard - and I felt awful but he has adjusted well and our farrier (who is keen on keeping most horses barefoot whenever possible) was happy with him - he's fine now, but the transition was a bit worrying at the time. Our yard is hardcore and pretty hard going on the girl's feet too, when they first came even though they'd been used to a variety of terrain they struggled a wee bit.
With regard to your other horse and the check ligament injury, can you compromise and do a small paddock, finding a happy medium? (just thinking of limiting the damage). There are so many ins and outs - appreciate that, each horse is different, but when Storm damaged her tendon the first time around if I'd done small paddocks it might have healed better for the long term. And of course it depends on your situation - your yard etc.
Sending lots of positive vibes - and yes, I often wonder why we keep horses. Have a glass of wine and a think. I hope you get lots of helpful replies. Lots of vibes coming.

Certainly go with the drink wine, and chocolate helps too.

I'd get Oz x-rayed to see what's going on in his feet, ideally while the farrier is there so he can make adjustments if needed and then do more x-rays to check they're right. Metabolic laminitis can cause dramatic changes, but because they happen so slowly the horse adjusts and copes for a long time - I found this to my cost, but correct trimming and shoeing plus careful management means I still have a full of beans happy welshie. Blocks will only tell you if there's a problem there, you won't be any further forward in knowing what it is or how to fix it.

Try not to panic too quickly about Jakey. Just because it looks like the old problem has flared up again doesn't mean it's to the same degree and you know how to manage it

If they'll do box rest without exploding when they go back out then I'd say a week would be a good starting point to see if it helps. I'd still want Oz x-rayed though, and sooner rather than later.

Big hugs x

Thank you both so much!
Yes, probably he will improve but it’s so sick making seeing him right now! My yard is “gone wrong concrete” it was done in heavy rain and never quite set, it’s stoney and rough. He has such terrible feet and is so dramatic about them. The trimmer was really positive but he’s not here every morning and evening I lead him round :(
I did fence off a bit originally but right now of course it’s trashed within a day or so. He is quiet out if I’m careful ie- I keep him in if anything is likely to wind them up, shooting, hunting etc (last Saturday!)
Carthorse we have done full xrays of both fronts. My vet to be fair was amazing, she was here for hours! The xrays showed pretty much nothing other than thin soles. His pedal bone is fine, no worries navicular wise (which was my worry). She then deleted the images and only billed me foot balance xrays which were sent to my farrier. His feet were to be fair perfectly balanced and she said she couldn’t recommend anything different or any changes to what he’d been doing.
After the xrays he was shod with frog supports and wedges, which he instantly pulled off!

The wine is flowing quite well ;)

Reactions: Trewsers
Your vet sounds lovely! I wonder if it would be worth trying with just pads and putty, to me it seems pointless (or worse) putting wedges on if the foot balance is right without them. One of mine wouldn't tolerate plastic pads but was fine with leather ones - yes they gave less support but anything was better than nothing and he knew better than us what he was happy with. The pads not only offered protection from bad ground but also stopped his sole wearing away and allowed it to thicken up, the putty gave support but also provided stimulation to the sole. Would he cope barefoot behind so he was less likely to pull front shoes off? From the sound of your yard he's going to struggle without shoes, though I guess you could use boots to get him to and from the field.

It's a wonder everyone who owns horses isn't an alcoholic, maybe it's because we just don't have the money for it after spending everything on horses!

Reactions: Trewsers
We have tired leather and stuff under in lncludunng stuff under.
Too much wine
Will reply toMorrow that took so much. Effort too much wine

Reactions: carthorse
I always blame it on not having my reading glasses to hand, but I expect you're too young for that :D :D

Nothing useful to add, but hugs and I hope things look better tomorrow, or at least within a few days/weeks .... bloomin' horses, why are they so breakable?

Reactions: Toz and Trewsers
You really are going through it :(
With Oz are you using pads in your boots for all time on the yard? It can take a bit of fiddling about to find the right ones but they make a huge difference, I like the EPS 7lb ones, cheap, last for ages and give incredible support and padding, or the black easycare ones if they prefer something softer and thinner. It may seem mad to boot to and from the field but often it's needed at first, the foot needs to be challenged to get stronger but too much too soon can do more harm than good.
I would definitely run a blood panel for ppid, ems & IR if there is any suspicion of laminitis, the underlying cause of lami is thought to be metabolic in 90% of cases, so definitely one to rule in/out.
Hopefully quiet turnout will keep jake sane and let him recover, it's always so difficult, especially this time of year with all the mud.

Reactions: Toz
I had an ex-racer TB a few years back who came to me with awful feet and needed a year of rehab. Watching him hobbling on hard ground was heart-breaking. At the time I had to walk him daily for 20 mins with pads taped to his soles. It cost me a fortune in gaffer tape but it was worth it as his feet did come good again.

Have a look at Equine Podiatry Supplies.... you can buy pads and cut them to shape. I wouldn't bother investing in hoof boots yet because his feet will very much change shape as he rehabilitates. Pads are very good and will stimulate the frog brilliantly, even if only used for 20 mins a day. At least he will be more comfortable to take for a walk A piece of old carpet between the tape and pad will hold things more securely and prevent wear-down of the pads.

Screenshot_20191207-080906_Chrome-600x1067.jpg

Might be worth checking with your trimmer first tho..... abd you can get different strengths of pad too, so do ask.

Buddy is barefoot and has lower ringbone. I ride him with boots and pads to cushion his feet and I have found that the same boots do tend to fit most of the year, there is a time close to trimming when they might not go on and sometimes when he is newly trimmed I might have to add a bit more padding but otherwise we manage to keep all 4 on most of the time.

Thank you all ever so much! I was unable to reply yesterday as my phone was playing up I think, I couldn’t get into the site.
I’ve compromised slightly on the box rest. Oz is in a pen which used to be woodchip now more compost but is very soft so he’s comfortable there and out of mud and grass. Bubbles is the perfect little friend. So they seem ok. Jake has his door open onto the yard which is concrete so he just potters round.
The boots I bought are way too big so they are no good, however they may fit one of the others and if Jakes off a long time I’ll take his shoes off.
Totally by chance by oh rang me one evening last week asking me to go help someone who’s horse was unable to get up out in the field, of course I went and did all I could..... turns out the owner is a podiatrist and o/h had been telling her my issues, So have been for coffee and chat/advice today. She also lent me some smaller boots and has said she’d come and see him if I’m ever worried. She also said not to test for cushings just yet as he is showing signs of current inflammation so not the best timing, I do remember having to wait for a month or so to run bloods when barney had a bout of laminitis so that makes sense?
So currently feeling a little better about things.
Jake, I’m still hoping I’m wrong but as the days go on with no change it’s looking more likely. I don’t think I’m going to scan this time. It’s kind of irrelevant how bad the damage is as he has to heal and it takes as long as it takes but I do want a vet to confirm as much as possible (last time both vets said 99% check ligament so I’m happy with a experienced guess)

Hoping that’s more readable than Friday nights efforts ;)

Re not testing Oz while there is current inflammation/laminitis she's right in that the discomfort is likely to give an elevated reading BUT in my experience if the inflammation/laminitis is PPID induced then you aren't going to get it under control without medicating. It's a Catch 22. My advice would be to talk to your vet and see if they'll either medicate and see if that shows an improvement, or test but make sure they interpret the results bearing in mind he's currently uncomfortable. The tests aren't foolproof anyway, Jim was very symptomatic but test results (when we managed to get them, and that's a different problem) were borderline, but without Prascend or if the dose was too low he'd get laminitis and nothing would improve it until the Prascend dose was correct for him.

It sounds like it would be worth taking her up on her offer to have a look at him though, and I hope her horse was ok.

Reactions: Jessey
I may try medicating and see what happens. I’ll chat to my vet.

The horse is ok yes, it was lovely to see him today actually. After spending a few hours sat in the mud willing him to pull through it was great to see him upright and happy.
it got to the point the vet after pumping him full of pain killers and fluids said we realistically had one more chance at getting him up and I think everyone put their soul into it (literally!). It was the best feeling, I was certain he’d be pts

Oh how lucky is that, karma obviously has a plan for it all to work out to throw you into an EP's path like that :)

Maybe it was karma yes!
I think I need to continue with the trimmer I have had but it’s lovely to have a bit of support and advice on the boots etc. She’s going to call in tomorrow and see how sound he is in boots as she said really he should be pretty comfortable in them. I tried them very quickly last night but in the dark so didn’t really get a proper look but he still looked pretty hoppy.

Fingers crossed she can give you some useful advice,, and if after her seeing him you think she'd be more suitable then there's no reason you can't change trimmer.

I’m trying very hard to keep it together but.....

Oz- as per my previous post. Ongoing foot issues. Eventually decided to give barefoot a go. Theory being what have I too loose?
He can’t physically keep shoes on. I can’t afford to keep shoeing every two weeks.
He wasn’t sound in shoes anyway.
Top trimmer came out. He straight away said he has low level but ongoing laminitis. This makes such perfect sense to me. In fact I’ve asked both the vet and farrier if it could be and both said no, feeling a bit stupid I backed down and accepted that.
Trimmer guy was pretty chilled about his feet and thus gave me a huge boost and renewed enthusiasm. I’ve changed his chaff to Thunderbrooks, minimised grass maximised hay. Bought hoof armour with high hopes (which were dashed!!) and a set of boots.
He is however crippled. He’s fine in the field and stable but to and from is breaking my heart. I don’t know how long I can keep that up for.
I put so much into getting him going and it’s not been easy. I was happy for him to take time but had visions of hand walking him round the village and such like- this in my head still counted as his education and helping with keeping him happily hacking alone etc in truth I can’t even tie him up on the yard to fuss over as he’s so sore.

Part of the reasoning behind now being the time to do all this was it’s hard to keep two in proper work anyway and jakey is so fat but currently feeling so amazing and well that I’d concentrate on him.
Until he went lame suddenly in front. He’s only been back in work a year after a severe check ligament injury which I rehabbed him perfectly from ( he really was the best easiest patient!) it’s the same leg, same heat, same lameness same swelling. I think it’s re-occurred :(
Realistically he’s 20 now, although slightly mad and full of beans I’m not sure how fair it is to do another 6 months plus box rest so have been turning out quietly anyway :(

I may this week just put both in a weeks proper box rest and see if it helps either/both.
I’m just feeling a bit defeated! A few weeks back I was moaning about having to work two everyday!
I’m going to get the vet out again to check Jakes leg and maybe block Ozzy’s feet (?) to just be absolutely certain that’s the only issue here and as Carthorse suggested do a cushings test. Plan?

The immediate plan is to drink wine and be sad. Why do we have horses?
What an absolute pain. My gang are all unshod, but in the past I’ve had to put boots on to get to and fro from the field. It’s a pain but worth it. Although they're all fully transitioned, everybody had a set of boots that fit for those just in case moments. Last time it was a puncture wound to a sole.

newrider.com