I need to jump more

C.J_Sox

C.J_Sox
Feb 11, 2006
in a feild!
i know i have already posted somehting about this but i really do need to!:)

help me get more confidence, do you have any tips?
-x-

Jumpings something I've had trouble with since I had a period of about 3 months were at least once a lesson I would fall cantering jumps. All I can say is take the jumps lower I was jumping 2'6 I went back down to jumps under 2 foot and built my confidence up, after a LONG time I got to the point where I could canter a 2'6 - 2'9 course again and ENJOY it which was nice since I really stopped enjoying jumping for a bit, and the only thing that kept me going was I knew how much I loved it when I had confidence.

Just take your time thats what im doing! I fall off head first about three years ago, but now i have a fantastic jumper, so im on my way back up there!
Got to get there very soon as i want my lesson with DavidH!!! :rolleyes:

Take it at your own pace - there's no rule saying you have to jump. Do you have any good pleasure rides around you with small jumps? Only they're fun, and you can pick the ones you want to do. I once went from "I can't manage a cross pole" to 3' in the space of one pleasure ride. Where are you based? There are loads of good ones around here (West Midlands)...

Ross

Heya!!

I lost my confidence over nothing!! Sad eh?? I did have a kinda fall where I was jumping without reins and Cheek took a bigger leap then I was ready for and by the time he was about 5 strides after the jump, I was holding the saddle sideways backtofront like one of them western stunt riders - I thought it was clever and laughed it off :p

But thats not what shook me .. dont know. Guess because I went from loving jumping, to borring dressage, then borring dressage to 'i cant get enough' dressage lol! I think its because I have little interest :p

But maybe just start with some poles, go over them and let your horse carry you - begin to trust your horse again with jumping :) Go over poles in rising trot, sitting trot, standing trot, forwards/jumping position, over the poles with out stirrups, with out reins, without stirrups or reins .. experiment :)

Good luck ..

thankyou all i will try the gradually getting bigger idea and i will try not to totally freak when i decide i can't do it... the thing is i know i can do it but i just won't it's so annoying!!
-x-

don't worry - you will get there.

my best friend died last yr in a xc fall and it totally shattered my confidence even on my wee pony i still thought oh my god oh my god and he would occasionally run out but it wasn't this i was worried about it was just jumping in general. i use to be a good jumper and jump anything and did alot of xc but when my instructor died i backed off xc and did more sjing but since my friend died i don't jump.

Rodney is an ex-grade b andn he would have went to the top if he hadn't had the run in with wire fence, but i feel i owe it to him ot get back into jumping again and get sorted. Not only him - but also my friends and all the horses and ponies who have taught me along the way.

I've started having lessons again- and working on the basics basics but i am enjoying it and looking forward to jumping. With Rodney this summer i want to get round a showjumping course, not bothered if its only a foot in height and if its just in our field or ini the school, if i do that its a big step forward.

You can and will do it! :D :D

newrider.com