I sweat loads when I'm riding.

Lorenzo

Sep 7, 2019
It's really bugging me now and obviously it smells. I use strong deoderant, but it doesn't help much. Does anyone else have the same problem?
I've been riding for a year and can trot, canter and jump low poles.

Bring a change of clothes and change as soon as you finish riding? The horse won’t care if you smell and when riding no one will be close enough to smell you anyway.

Ah sweat ! I have underarm hyperhidrosis. Normal deodorant will do bog all for excessive sweating, no matter how much you use! You want an antiperspirant containing aluminium chloride, the type you apply at night to clean dry armpits - I use Anhydrol Forte which works really well. If you sweat badly in other places too, there's a range of creams, sprays and roll-ons called Sweat Stop. I'd also take a clean T-Shirt with you to change into if it'll make you feel less self conscious!

Without being rude because obviously I don’t know you at all, but improving base fitness out of the saddle can really help. My mare had been on and off lane and then had to be retired in January and I have gained weight since I’m not riding regularly now and boy do I notice how much that has impacted my base fitness and I’m definitely sweating more when I do ride once or twice a week, I’ve had to start running again (not my favourite exercise ?) to get my fitness back

I have ridden mid day in very high temperatures in Texas and lived in the tropics too. We make a point of drinking lots of water in hot weather. If you are dehydrated, your sweat will smell -

Worth asking whether you are over-dressed for riding? Particularly if you wear a body protector and heavy duty helmet which I do? Both of these give additional insulation. The horse's blood temperature is higher than a human's, so you need fewer clothes when riding. And you are taking quite strenuous exercise canterng and juping in a class and may be slightly aprehensive too? Breathe, breathe deep and relax.

In winter I have a weather proof goretex jacket which allows for evaporation of the moisture coming from your active body. My summer riding mac is also one made for walkers and climbers - to keep off the rain but not trap the moisture inside.

But there is aother question. New riders often make a lot of physical effort which really isnt necessary when riding. As far as I am concerned it is the horse that does the work and to some extent I am a passenger. I was 60 when I started to ride and not athletic. An RS horse can be taught in just a few minutes that you expect it to respond to the lightest of cues.

Riding rising trot (if you rise - you may be riding Werstern, I dont know) is the most energetic movement demanded of a rider. If you let the movement of the horse raise you slightly from the saddle (less up and down rise) that is a better and less tiring way to ride it.

Reactions: Trewsers
I wear a base layer, hat and boots.
I rise is rising trot. Most of my 30 min lesson is rising trot.

I wear a base layer, hat and boots.
I rise is rising trot. Most of my 30 min lesson is rising trot.
That is heavy phyical exercise so it is probably healthy that you sweat. The UK fitness guru in UK Covid lockdown, Joe Wicks, praises us if we get a sweat - and this is his series for old age pensioners.
Riding in a modern base layer with artificial fibre may not be helpful. I ride in summer and in USA in a loose, shirt sleeved polo shirt. Mine are expensive - Ralph Lauren, loose knitted with loose sleeves and 100% cotton. I put my bp over them but they are very cool on their own. OH and I did a lot of walking in USA on our trips and I wore these most of the time.
I wear cotton underwear for riding and cotton shirts in summer. Cowboys dont wear short sleeves and my OH has Western cotton riding shirts with long sleeves.

newrider.com