I think I may do natural horsemanship without knowing it

Keket

Jan 26, 2004
After reading Crystal Fire's thread with the video, and a lot of other threads in this forum, I think I may be doing natural horsemanship without realizing it. I don't subscribe to Parelli or any of the others, I just do what I've been taught by my riding instructor. And it's seeming a whole lot like NH.

The basis of the method I've been taught foccusses (sp?) on increasing pressure. I start with the softest cue (usually a voice command) and work up until I get the response I want, and then release all pressure. I've been taught to use body language, voice commands and a lunge whip to work a horse off a line in a round-pen or arena. My instructor has always stressed body language, both how to read the horse's and how to use my own to influence the horse.

I can make small movements and control each of Coquette's feet. Topaz is learning, and I can make her move her body away from me by moving my hand toward that part of her.

To give you an example...

Just a little revelation I had. ;)

Looks like you do to me :) NH isn't anything new is it? And a lot of western-style horsemen use similar techniques. I was first taught escalating phases of pressure, now don't really use that, more a light ask then add something to "explain" - but we're all aiming for the same things.

Lots of people do, but they just don't think of it as such, I've done it all my life and most top rider started by doing it and when we here the expresion "she was born on a horse" or " she's a natural rider" It is because they talk the horses langueg without knowing it.

Natural Horsemanship is repackaged wisdom of the ages :)

The various styles of NH are just styles, not necessarily anything earthshaking, new, or unique. The various step-by-step instruction sets are a methodical way of approaching something that *can* be done on instinct, if you are good enough at reading/interpreting/responding to equine body language. But if you're not familiar enough with teaching a horse the basics of communicating with people, or at responding to the body language, the step-by-step programs may be able to better help you establish a good relationship with your horse.

But everything in NH is reaction to equine instinct and equine body language. You don't have to study one particular trainer to practice GOOD horsemanship.

wow! good work!

She looks great.

how long did it take you to get her to do this? She's really listening to you.
Have you had her a long time? it looks though you have a really good relationship. :)

madferret said:
She looks great.

how long did it take you to get her to do this? She's really listening to you.
Have you had her a long time? it looks though you have a really good relationship. :)

Aw, thanks. I like to think she loves me. :)

I've been working with her for about 18 months (not my horse, she belongs to my instructor). I guess she just learned to associate the way I was standing with my commands. Like, "Mum's facing my front shoulder, better turn away." Have also just found out that I can ride her in a halter. :D So proud of her.

You probably do NH "without knowing it" - so please, please, please be sure to appreciate you riding instructor! :)

Not everyone is as lucky as you are to get as good a start as you've obviously had.

NH isn't "new" as such - what's new is that it's now actually being presented to us and verbalized.
To quote Pat Parelli: "Natural horsemanship is so old it's new again."

A lot of people do it without even noticing it, I think you and the horse look great!

I do the same thing with a 20 QH, he's not mine... but I'm leasing him and working him since I've known his owner for quite a while. A lot of which I learned I picked up from watching horses interact with each other. Plus trying it myself in large open area's rather then a round pen.

Like in my lessons, the 7yr old Arabian I ride doesn't like to be caught, he'll run. Wel okay, off I go working him in the middle of this large pasture as if we're in a small round pen. I get the signs I'm looking for and ask him to come on.

I'll do it the same with the QH I work, it's made a huge difference. I never really had anyone show me what to do, I have once but it was a few years ago and I can hardly remember. That was the only time I've ever worked in an accutal round pen.

I think you two look great, keep up the awesome work! maybe you can share a couple tips with me lol. Since I'm still working at some stuff.

I think you two look great, keep up the awesome work! maybe you can share a couple tips with me lol. Since I'm still working at some stuff.

Aw, thanks. :) I'll try to answer any questions that I can, but I'm not a NH follower or anything, I'm just a girl that loves a horse and spends a lot of time working with her (it helps that she's a really eager-to-please horse). ;)

newrider.com