I think she has turned the corner

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
View media item 25244View media item 25243Feeling very hopeful for my Dolly - she really seems to have turned a corner after a couple of months of being very poorly. 10 days of Dr. Green and she looks and behaves more like the great horse she is, good grass really is the best medicine. Very interested in her surroundings and whats going on around her and I think looking physically very well if a little porky and in need of exercise - but please God we will be back riding very soon and that will all improve. Restricted grazing from tomorrow! She is definitely now having more good days than bad and looks far from the sick horse she was :D No idea how to upload pics doesnt seem to work for me anymore as it tells me my files are too large? but here is a Facebook link if it works

Last edited:
I so hope she has, you both need a break. Like you I'm a big believer in the power of good grass (unless you've a laminitic, then it's the stuff of nightmares) & given all she's been dealing with I'd rather she was a little round. How's here attitude towards you now?

Reactions: Cortrasna
I so hope she has, you both need a break. Like you I'm a big believer in the power of good grass (unless you've a laminitic, then it's the stuff of nightmares) & given all she's been dealing with I'd rather she was a little round. How's here attitude towards you now?

Well she isnt laminitic but looking at her waistline she very soon could be if I let it go on for much longer lol! But yes I thought that today too - I have to confess she has had her SI rug on for 5 days and I have only removed the neck to re anoint her daily with all the usual anti midge gloop.....so today was a revelation.....couldnt believe how rotund she has got so quickly and actually lost all the dull scurvy skin and we now have a little skin/coat shine going on too :D she is totally her old self with me - smoochy when she feels like it...but gently nudges me out the way when she feels she has allowed me enough up close and personal lol! Definitely more her usual self days than down in the dumps days so I think we are over the hump. Still waiting on two more test results but she wont be going anywhere as things are right now. it will take a massive down turn in her health to persuade me to let her travel anywhere for more tests to be honest. ;)

Well she isnt laminitic but looking at her waistline she very soon could be if I let it go on for much longer lol! But yes I thought that today too - I have to confess she has had her SI rug on for 5 days and I have only removed the neck to re anoint her daily with all the usual anti midge gloop.....so today was a revelation.....couldnt believe how rotund she has got so quickly and actually lost all the dull scurvy skin and we now have a little skin/coat shine going on too :D she is totally her old self with me - smoochy when she feels like it...but gently nudges me out the way when she feels she has allowed me enough up close and personal lol! Definitely more her usual self days than down in the dumps days so I think we are over the hump. Still waiting on two more test results but she wont be going anywhere as things are right now. it will take a massive down turn in her health to persuade me to let her travel anywhere for more tests to be honest. ;)

Brilliant, just brilliant! And I completely agree about not travelling her for tests now, I wouldn't want to risk anything that might upset or unsettle her if she was mine x

So happy for you :) do you think it was addressing the anemia or something else?

very difficult to say really Jessey - vet and bloods seemed to indicate the anemia was just the symptom of something underlying so they also addressed many other possible causes along the way too including virus, bacterial infection, stomach ulcers, worms etc. etc. Obviously they couldn't rule out internal bleeding somewhere but given how very well she appears to be right now I would say that whatever it is/was is improving rapidly. More blood tests next week and everything crossed the confirm that she is now well and truly out of the woods.

Couldn't reply yesterday as was mad busy at work but wanted to say I am so relieved to read this, I can only imagine how you must feel, fingers crossed that whatever it was is well and truly done and she continues to improve for you xx She does look well, just how the old queen of Ireland should do.

She is looking fantastic!! So relieved for you and it really made me Smile to read the happy tone of your post.

Still sending vibes that she continues to improve.

So happy for you Mrs C xx

So happy to read this, great news. Everything crossed that she continues improving. I haven't seen photos of her before, what a lovely horse!

newrider.com