I thought my introduction would fit in well here...

All-rounder Chick

Jan 2, 2017
Hi, I have two native ponies, my saintly rising 8 14.2hh New Forest called Hollybrooke Democrat (Nero), and a naughty Welsh sec A who's rising 19 called D'Artagnan (Darty).
My NF tested positive for EMS after having 2 bouts of laminitis last spring. He had 10.5 and 8 degrees rotation unfortunately. After a battle to assist him losing weight and regain soundness, Nero was OK'd by the vet and trimmer to begin work mid December. We are now doing well, he's out on a track (with old long grass) for anything upto 18 hours a day, and he's mostly doing groundwork in walk 4 times a week for upto an hour. Luckily I returned to university so I tend to have quite a bit of time to ride even if it is full-time study (shhhh).
It has been a rollercoaster ride since April and so far December was the first month with no 'scares', although he had raised pulses after being on the frosty grass for too long, last week. I also suspect that my Welsh has cushings, as he has a few symptoms. But he seems to be doing absolutely fine being kept the same as my NF.
Has anyone else on a similar journey to ours? Or have a recovering laminitic?

Hello:D
I have an oldie with Cushings (which is under control with the help of prascend) and a connie who lives off fresh air:oops:
Sounds like you've had quite a time with yours.

Hi, sounds like a similar situation to mine health-wise, bless them.
Oh yes 2016 was just 3 steps forward and 7 back every month. Vet is very positive about my horse's long-term prognosis which I'd say he is very lucky. Barefoot seems to have helped enormously and if you saw him spinning around galloping with Darty, you would never know what he's been through. Now he's on a long-term recuperation plan to keep his metabolism going, weight down and careful grass intake. It's still a process of finding out his limits with exercise and grass intake.

Hello and welcome to NR,

I have a 16.1hh shire x gelding who is rising. 13. My vet has always drummed into me the importance of keeping his weight down because of suspected ems. So far we have avoided the dreaded laminitis but it does worry me. I hope your pony never gets it again.x

Reactions: All-rounder Chick
Hiya :p my QH mare was diagnosed with cushings 4 years ago, she's a bit of a stoic maddam so not had diagnosed lami but I am positive she's had lgl more than once, complicated by going lame in July 2015 and a long battle to get her sound (vets swore not lami but poss navicular), which we seem to have cracked by putting her back on Prascend but the frosty grass of late is causing me no end of bother. She's probably a good candidate for ems aswell but the last test was negative (though so was her last cushings test but the drugs helped so it must have been a false negative). I also have a mini shet x so I'm always careful to keep him slim. I keep mine on a grass track in spring, summer and autumn but they go on the long grass in the middle in winter (normally but the frost isn't helping that plan this year, too much and she's sore again).

Reactions: All-rounder Chick
Hi MP, hopefully you will do. The damage is harder to correct in the larger horses.
Hi J, sounds like fun and games with yours too. I hope yours feels better soon. Mine can't tolerate 24 hours on grass unless it's long, old and not frosty.

Reactions: Jessey
Hi, I have two native ponies, my saintly rising 8 14.2hh New Forest called Hollybrooke Democrat (Nero), and a naughty Welsh sec A who's rising 19 called D'Artagnan (Darty).
My NF tested positive for EMS after having 2 bouts of laminitis last spring. He had 10.5 and 8 degrees rotation unfortunately. After a battle to assist him losing weight and regain soundness, Nero was OK'd by the vet and trimmer to begin work mid December. We are now doing well, he's out on a track (with old long grass) for anything upto 18 hours a day, and he's mostly doing groundwork in walk 4 times a week for upto an hour. Luckily I returned to university so I tend to have quite a bit of time to ride even if it is full-time study (shhhh).
It has been a rollercoaster ride since April and so far December was the first month with no 'scares', although he had raised pulses after being on the frosty grass for too long, last week. I also suspect that my Welsh has cushings, as he has a few symptoms. But he seems to be doing absolutely fine being kept the same as my NF.
Has anyone else on a similar journey to ours? Or have a recovering laminitic?

I have previously owned a pony who had laminitis in all four feet. Nightmare owning her. Always stabled through spring/summer months without fail.

newrider.com