I took my OH riding!

evilgiraffe

Mwahahahahaaaa
May 23, 2006
Cambridge, UK
So, last week we were on holiday, and Henry came ponyriding with me and dad one morning!

He came last year and I wanted to get him on Speckles, but sadly then he had a sore back so was off work, so last year Henry rode Megan, who is Speckles' girlfriend. This year Speckles was fit and ready so he rode him! I picked Speckles for Henry as he is the ultimate in trustworthiness, and is also like riding an armchair - perfect for beginners! I've seen Speckles actively jog one shoulder in order to push a slipping rider back into place, and he WILL NOT go faster than he feels the rider can handle. Very very safe boy and I love him :D

So, we went out on a jolly, me and dad and Henry, we went down the road and into the valley and did a few trots (Henry managing to get the hang of it ok, remembering last year quite well). Then dad says "why not a canter too?", and Henry says ok... I figured it couldn't really go wrong as Henry has pretty good balance, seems to be managing trot fine, and Speckles is as aforesaid the ultimate safe horse. So, trot trot trot and CANTER and we went for several strides of canter before dad brought us back to trot again (dad in front of Henry, me behind) and all was well ((boing I was especially pleased as Speckles really won't canter if he thinks the rider is not up to staying on in a balanced fashion, so Speckles deciding to canter is a pretty good indication that all was well! Later on we did another canter, this time up a short but steep hill, so we got some proper speed up, but distance wise it was about the same as the first one. Then another trot, and down to the seaside for a paddle on our way home.

Now for the pictures!

I know Speckles isn't the most well-put-together horse, or the prettiest, but he's just so lovely
IMG_0804.jpg

Here's Henry having tuition from dad:
IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

And posing with me!
IMG_0807.jpg

One of us posing on the beach
RG3_2828.jpg

And during our paddle
RG3_2832.jpg

Oh, we were all geared up for wet weather as it had been raining quite hard when we set out. Fortunately it dried up quite a lot, but then we looked ridiculous in waterproof trousers with no rain!

Here's our last trot in the valley (haven't got evidence of canter I'm afraid)

And trotting up the road on the way home!

A good time was had by all! :D

Well that was quite a TROT for a beginner, fair play.

Personally I think Speckles looks lovely, I love the markings on his nose:D

Looks like you all had a nice time, where did you go, was it a holiday camp with stables on site or something?

Well done! how is his bottom feeling now:eek:

You must have a pretty steady hand taking the vids! good show;)

I have to say that the first beach shot pic, I thot your dad was sitting on my hoss, the markings and build looked so similar!!!!!:D

newrider.com