I was brave today

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I was brave today and took Mr Shay out for a solo hack in the rain. I haven't been out hacking on my own properly for a few years,it was really nice being able to go out and not have to worry about him upsetting anyone else or checking they were ok all the time. :happy:

I used my new split reins and they were much better shorter, actually easier to shorten and slip than my loop reins.
He was lovely and calm on the way out, although we had a little I don't want to go any further at the top of the long steep hill but I just waved the end of my reins at him and he trogged on.
He did his stonking trot/foxtrot gait thing under the bridges and then we have a lovely sideways canter down the bridlepath and almost ran over a man and his dogs going back towards the road as Shay was jogging a bit and obviously barefoot horses are the ninjas of the horse world as he couldn't hear us on the path till we got up fairly close behind him.
He then proceeded to do a stonking trot/gait thing all the way home and pulling me and cantered up the steep hill even though I told him not to, we then finally after a bit of discussion got a walk on a long rein on the way home, where he had some lovely grass and a handfull of chaff :angel:

I'm very pleased with him, I was at least expecting a couple of bucks down the bridleway as we haven't been out for a canter for a while, but he seems to save all those up for when we are with someone else. :giggle:
I will def be aiming to take him out on his own again and maybe go for a longer ride and some more canters.

A couple of pics from when we got home
9zpw6b.jpg

19ukya.jpg

It is very comfy. I am like the princess and the pea with saddles and can feel every lump, bump and crease under the seat and it bruises me, this is the only saddle I have had that hasn't been lumpy and bruised me.
It is quite wide when you haven't ridden in it for a while, but it doesn't feel wide to me at all now, and I don't even miss my knee rolls much anymore, and I used to love huge knee rolls on saddles :happy:

I have to say that for me nothing beats going out without other people. I'm dead anti-social anyway but I do love having no distractions and it just being Joy and I. Mind you, it can ver very embarrassing when we unexpectly come up on wlaker/cyclists and there me talking like a numpty to Joy or doing very poor animal impressions :giggle:

Ah yes I was talking to Shay all the way around discussing Trec obstacles and how much the grass has grown lately :giggle:

The saddle is a Torsion Duo, with the leathers set in 'hard use' style (attached to the top and bottom).
I'm using a Christ Lamfelle fully lined saddle pad and Thinline pad between,Barefoot sheepskin seat, Mattes platinum cinch and sheepskin breastplate covers on the stirrup leathers :happy:

How lovely!
I also went out on my own today after work and really enjoyed it. I like riding with my regular friends, but it is really nice when its just Rosa and me. She is so responsive as she is only listening to me and I can give her my full attention. :inlove:
Definitely worth overcoming and persevering through all those tricky moments in the past. :biggrin:
Well done for using the split reins, I love mine now.

awww thats super!

love the look of Shay and all his gear!

I went out solo this eve for a quick 20 min trot round the block, i am really starting to enjoy solo hacking, plus its nice to not have to be so reliant on others :)

He does look like an endurance pone in all his gear, especially with his tail in the air doing his power trot.:giggle:

newrider.com