I was extra brave today

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I decided yesterday that today I would take Shay for a longer hack out on his own. He hasn't been ridden for 2 weeks because he escaped from the field and injured himself, but he's been causing havoc in the field so I decided it was time he got out as his cuts are mostly healed.
I woke up at 2 in the morning stressing about the route I was going to take him :redface: so I decided to take him on a shorter ride closer to home.

I called him in the field and he came trotting over to me :happy: popped his halter on and got him out and tacked him up and off we went.
He had a bit of a paddy when we first set off and refused to go forward and had a little buck,but we were soon on our way. He walked nicely on the way out, had a trot and canter down the bridlepaths and then lots of trotting around the park. We even tackled some steps as a Trec practice. We did about 7 miles in total, mostly in trot/gait and were out for about 1hour 30 mins (which is a record for going to the park for me, it usually takes us an hour to get there).

He was very sweaty when we got back, and first thing he did in the field was have a good roll. He still managed to have a trot though, I was surprised he had so much energy left.

Some tired Shay pics
2rzdpxc.jpg

219rxnb.jpg

I think I will be taking him to a Trec event in September so really need to get working on our hacking along and practicing more obstacles.

I've been really nervous of hacking out on my own since breaking my collar bone,and Shay isn't the easiest horse, but I actually really enjoy taking him out on his own,once I am out on him I'm not nervous at all which is nice. :happy:

I always forget you have Shay.... still remember reading all about his escapades with his previous owner under his former identity! He does sound like a different, improved version now.

Well done for having the guts to hack him.... I'm lurking behind various excuses now....

He has chilled a lot since I've had him, I think it helps he is in a settled herd with lots of girls! :giggle:

newrider.com