I was very naughty

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
So Mattie has been retired and unridden for about 4 years. Since Ziggy died, I have been taking him out for regular walks, which he loves. He is a complete gentleman in every way - when he was ridden he went in a sidepull bridle and was a sensitive, obedient ride.

Today we were out as usual with his headcollar on and my 12ft rope. I was wearing shorts and Go Walk sneakers - no hat, boots, gloves etc :rolleyes:

I was leading him up a steep gully. He's 15.2 but the gully has really high sides. I just got a devil in me and I stopped him, clipped the lead rope to one side of the headcollar, tied its little leather thingies to the other side, put the makeshift reins over his head and used the gully to slip on to his back.

I was very surprised by his reaction. He'd been dawdling along behind me. As I sat down he lifted his neck, lifted his back - I felt it - and both ears came to sharp attention. Then he marched on up to the top of the gully!

It wasn't even 100 yards to the top. When it flattened out I put down my seat bones and twitched the makeshift reins and he stopped dead. I slipped off him (it was a long way down) and he gave me a big bump with his head.

I know it was bad and dangerous, sorry. But could he possibly have missed being ridden?

He was really comfortable by the way...

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I think some oldies still like to feel like they have a job, so a little sit on once in a while can give them a renewed energy :) glad you both enjoyed it :)

Reactions: Trewsers

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Nothing wrong with a sit on as long as there not retired due to injury.
But the biggest slap on the wrist, please wear a helmet. What would of happened if hed objected taken fright and bolted. You could be dead now.
Sneakers and shorts I have no issues with but no hat is naughty.
Aside from that glad you are having some lovely horse time inspite your lose of Ziggy.

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Consider yourself told off for the lack of hat, but putting that aside, how wonderful for you and Mattie to be out again. If he is sound, why not ride him sometimes? It could do both of you the world of good.

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Consider yourself told off for the lack of hat, but putting that aside, how wonderful for you and Mattie to be out again. If he is sound, why not ride him sometimes? It could do both of you the world of good.
I sold his saddle when he retired!

He has never been injured but he gets sore in his sacroiliac if he does too much. I think I might buy a cheap bareback pad in case I get the urge while we're out - I'm pretty sure I still have his Dr Cooks - though he's too tall for me to get on from anything except a very tall stump or gate or, as yesterday, a gully. If I'm bareback I'll only walk (he has a big springy Arab trot) and I'll have enough feel to tell if his back is stiff and/or he is reluctant.

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Most of us have been there at some point! Nothing happened a d it made you both smile which is priceless imo and all part of making happy memories. Sometimes these things just feel right at the time! Just maybe wear your hat when your out walking from now on for when the urge an opportunity arises again :)

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Sometimes you have to just seize the moment. I'm glad it made you and Mattie happy, our Jack is retired too but every now and then he gets a walk out and I'm sure he enjoys it, although he's always keen to get back to his field :)