I was very restrained last night

casey

Certified equine dentist
Mar 27, 2003
NSW Australia
s6.photobucket.com
I have moved temporarily to a new yard. As my place was sold, and am in the process of buying somewhere new.

Anyway, there a 2 Lusitano stallions on the yard. Owned by two very (self confessed) novicey men.

One of the guy's started talking to me last night, and at the end ot the conversation.....(2 hours:eek: )it really took every thing I had not to slap him about:D

The man that owned one of the stallions, started telling me how novicey he was, but then preceeded to reel off things about stallions that someone has told him. You know when people are talking through experience, or just quoting someone else.

He started telling me how quiet his stallion was, (and it is) and i'll give you a few more quotes... "I have ridden more stallions then any other horses" "stallions need respect and then they give you respect" "In Portugal, where I keep my other stallion, they are far more professional then here" Also in Portugal, according to him, 1000 horses are kept together in a field....600 of them are stallions, the rest are mares and geldings, and they are sooo well trained:rolleyes: :rolleyes: that NONE of them fight/mate or squabble":D ......Oh get lost!!!!

Now, i'm starting to get rilled. He then goes on to say, "Oh that other stallion is gone in the head"

So now, I mention that both stallions on the yard aren't breeding stallions(including his)....Both are isolated/alone in the field, so no wonder its tempermantal.

He also went on to say that too many people in this country give their horses kisses and polos, and they shouldn't be kept like that. I said that it depends on individual owners, and if horses arre kept as pets...as most are then why shouldn't the be loved and fussed.

I then said I thought he was wrong about yards not being professional in this country. I have been at many professional yards, yards that earn their living through competing horses. And the horses are loved and given treats etc.....

Bearing in mind, this is only a snippet of the conversation...He drove me mad. What an ignorant man. I didn't tell him I have had stallions, but choose not to ride/own them.

Argh. I dont think I will be able to restrain myself if he talks rubbish again.

Stupid man! 1000 horses in one field! Must have been a bl***y big field! What a silly man!

There is a stallion on our yard and he is better behaved than some of the mares and geldings! also he is given loads of kisses and treats!

I think he just proved your signature correct then? lol, I think my favorite tactic with someone like that is to just ask "why do you think that then?" when its all someone elses quotes they have no back up information, there tends to be a lot of "erm" "err" "um" in there, the bigger they dig the hole the sillier they feel afterwards and tend to shut up in future :D

I would have just turned around and walked away and let him talk to himself if he's going to talk cr*p.
People like that are so frustrating, and no matter how hard you try, most just can't be reasoned with.

I think I would have just rolled my eyes and walked away....:rolleyes: A friend of mine is quite novicey and bought a three year old last year. He was feeding him milk pellets all winter. He did ask me what the recommended dose for a three year old is, and I explained they are sold for youngsters (i.e. up to yearling), but can put weight on an underweight or underconditioned horse and his was neither. He fed it anyway, on the recommendation of someone else and spent all Spring complaining about how fat his horse is! :rolleyes: What can you do?

1000 horses are kept together in a field....600 of them are stallions, the rest are mares and geldings, and they are sooo well trained that NONE of them fight/mate or squabble"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :D
Christ I feel for those stallions! It's hilarious, but also kind of . . . not.

Bravo for biting your tongue! You're a better person than me :eek: .

DeirdreBarlow said:
[

Bravo for biting your tongue! You're a better person than me :eek: .

Lol. I'm sooo not.:D But I think I was stunned by the ridiculousness of it.

But I do feel for the stallions. What is the point of keeping 2 non breeding stallions entire, and isolated.
I asked why doesn't he breed from them. He even said "oh there are better stallions out there" Go figure

But I do feel for the stallions. What is the point of keeping 2 non breeding stallions entire, and isolated.

Maybe he can't afford a convertible ferrari?

well done casey for bitting your lip and not thumping the bloke. oh, the joys of livery yards, bot am i glad to be out of all that!!

Well done for staying so restrained, I def would have told him to shut up and walked off, however not as polite as that!

I admire you for being so restrained. I could'nt have resisted punching him on the nose. I dont suffer idiots like him gladly. Sadly, there are many about.

Mmmmmm interesting, but of course you do know that if you're a 'real' man you have to have a stallion don't you:rolleyes:

Blimin idiots, in my opinion unless you intend to breed from a stallion there is no reason to keep as a riding horse and not have it gelded.

casey said:
I asked why doesn't he breed from them. He even said "oh there are better stallions out there" Go figure
maybe he should go and buy a sports car!
I think someone should isolate him without any company of whatever pursuasion he is for his life, give him hooves for hands ;) and see how he feels, but then I am a malicious vindictive person :D :D :D :D
(sorry got giggles now)

Lol:D Thanks for the support ladies. I'm going to do my best to avoid him, or I may get arrested!:D

Oh another thing he said....This stallion in Portugal, was well looked after according to him because "they get food and water, oh they dont get turned out, but they get food and water" Like that is all there is to keeping a stallion (or infact any horse) happy.

casey said:
Oh another thing he said....This stallion in Portugal, was well looked after according to him because "they get food and water, oh they dont get turned out, but they get food and water" Like that is all there is to keeping a stallion (or infact any horse) happy.

Blimey what a spolit horse it gets food AND water, crikey!! Lucky boy:(

newrider.com