I went for a hack and I saw

Properties from Landhousefarm.com

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I went on a hack out from the farriers today and saw the most glorious view of one Red Kite in particular, that flew right overhead very close. The sun was shining and lighting up its beautiful markings, framed against the blue sky. For once I was quick enough to get my phone out and take a video but when I played it back it had paused at 6 seconds and all I got was the floor, Raf's mane, my knees and a bit of sky. Gutted, it would have been the best video EVA!!

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I saw a barn owl last winter, a kingfisher in the summer and a pair of grey wagtails regularly when I’m out, never taken photos though as it’s not something I ever think to do, looks like you must have been super quick @newforest to capture that little mouse?
@Bodshi that sounds wonderful, my daughter lives down in Didcot and had one in her garden last week, took a video of it snacking on a pigeon!
I bet your video would have been amazing too.

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I think I may have posted this somewhere else in another thread, and it's not strictly a hack - coming back into the yard. Baby foxes with a carcass their mum must have given them. Ignored me and Ramsey completely for about 3 minutes.Screenshot_20191024-154859_Video Player.jpg

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I saw a barn owl last winter, a kingfisher in the summer and a pair of grey wagtails regularly when I’m out, never taken photos though as it’s not something I ever think to do, looks like you must have been super quick @newforest to capture that little mouse?
@Bodshi that sounds wonderful, my daughter lives down in Didcot and had one in her garden last week, took a video of it snacking on a pigeon!
I bet your video would have been amazing too.
I hadn't even noticed the mouse until you said!

Love the Red Kites, we saw one over this way a few weeks ago, but not seen it since. I've never seen one round here before though so it was very exciting. There's loads round the farriers because it's near one of the release sites but I never get bored of seeing them. Would love to have one in the garden!

Reactions: Huggy

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
I've never managed to get a pic out on a ride but very often see buzzards (and hear their rather chilling cry - Dolly hates the noise!) and sometimes pass within a few feet of them just resting up on a tree stump or similar (the buzzard not me) . Very often see them in our garden and fields.

Reactions: Bodshi and Huggy

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I've never managed to get a pic out on a ride but very often see buzzards (and hear their rather chilling cry - Dolly hates the noise!) and sometimes pass within a few feet of them just resting up on a tree stump or similar (the buzzard not me) . Very often see them in our garden and fields.
I love the cry of buzzards, it sounds so wild and primeval. When I was growing up we only ever used to see them on our holidays in Scotland, but I'd say about 15-20 years ago they started appearing around here and now they're a common sight. Will never lose their magic for me though.

Reactions: Huggy and Cortrasna

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I love the cry of buzzards, it sounds so wild and primeval. When I was growing up we only ever used to see them on our holidays in Scotland, but I'd say about 15-20 years ago they started appearing around here and now they're a common sight. Will never lose their magic for me though.
Me too Bodshi, I even have them outside my office just now, were right next to an amazing broad leaved woodland which they like and I see and hear them every day, I guess for me it just reminds me of my childhood holidays in deepest darkest south west Wales as that's the only place we used to see them.

Reactions: Huggy and Cortrasna

Toz

Jul 14, 2019
A re-enactment of a medieval battle. It was years ago before I had a phone sadly! Was riding along a bridle path through forestry when a guy jumped out in front of me dressed like some kind of warrior and shouted something at me. Quickly realised I wasn’t part of the group and was very apologetic, he then shouted out “horse and rider coming through” to which loads (literally) of other warriors came out of the bushes and stood quietly while I passed.
Apparently it was a history group who did days like that in full costume, my yard owner thought it was hilarious, they all knew about it but hadn’t realised firstly it was that day or that I’d actually already gone out by myself in that direction.

I also happened upon a couple having sex on a blanket under a tree (but very much on a bridle way!) again, no photo

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Bodshi and Huggy

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I've mentioned before, the army lurking in the bushes standing up one by one, when we asked them to come out, as it was scaring the horses. I think the one in charge lost his mens respect when he said "Hello horses" after we asked them to speak, so the horses knew what they were. Also in one of the smaller inclosures we used to come across the police dog training unit - horses hated them. Finally, some thing I've only seen from a distance, thank God - the pony drifting, or round up. It's like something from the wild west. They go at a hell of a lick, with sometimes a dozen ponies galloping ahead of them - you don't want to get caught up in that. :eek:

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I've mentioned before, the army lurking in the bushes standing up one by one, when we asked them to come out, as it was scaring the horses. I think the one in charge lost his mens respect when he said "Hello horses" after we asked them to speak, so the horses knew what they were. Also in one of the smaller inclosures we used to come across the police dog training unit - horses hated them. Finally, some thing I've only seen from a distance, thank God - the pony drifting, or round up. It's like something from the wild west. They go at a hell of a lick, with sometimes a dozen ponies galloping ahead of them - you don't want to get caught up in that. :eek:
That reminds me of the time I rode past a field where they were shooting and the beaters were all lined up along the edge ready to drive forwards, holding their little flags. As I rode along I said 'good morning' to the first, then to the second and then I started to feel like the Queen, passing down this line of men who were all standing respectfully watching me and returning my greeting one by one. Eventually it occurred to me that they were actually waiting for me to clear off so they could get started, so a bit red faced I took a side road and left them to it.

And not the same thing, but me and OH were once out on a hack and in the distance we saw a Trotter being driven down the main road at a hell of a pace. Our horses got very upset, even though it was some way off. As it past the end of our road we got a good view and it looked like just a baby, head up and wild eyed, poor thing.

Reactions: Jessey

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
That reminds me of the time I rode past a field where they were shooting and the beaters were all lined up along the edge ready to drive forwards, holding their little flags. As I rode along I said 'good morning' to the first, then to the second and then I started to feel like the Queen, passing down this line of men who were all standing respectfully watching me and returning my greeting one by one. Eventually it occurred to me that they were actually waiting for me to clear off so they could get started, so a bit red faced I took a side road and left them to it.

And not the same thing, but me and OH were once out on a hack and in the distance we saw a Trotter being driven down the main road at a hell of a pace. Our horses got very upset, even though it was some way off. As it past the end of our road we got a good view and it looked like just a baby, head up and wild eyed, poor thing.

Poor trotter..............

Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com