I went for a hack and I saw

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
That reminds me of the time I rode past a field where they were shooting and the beaters were all lined up along the edge ready to drive forwards, holding their little flags. As I rode along I said 'good morning' to the first, then to the second and then I started to feel like the Queen, passing down this line of men who were all standing respectfully watching me and returning my greeting one by one. Eventually it occurred to me that they were actually waiting for me to clear off so they could get started, so a bit red faced I took a side road and left them to it.

And not the same thing, but me and OH were once out on a hack and in the distance we saw a Trotter being driven down the main road at a hell of a pace. Our horses got very upset, even though it was some way off. As it past the end of our road we got a good view and it looked like just a baby, head up and wild eyed, poor thing.
We have a lot of trotters going past our field, do hate seeing them. They go about 5 miles up the main road and then back. God knows what it does to their legs. :( . Our 2 don't even pay attention any more.

• Sad
Reactions: Bodshi and Trewsers

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
This morning Buddy and I were meandering around the field margin on a big stubble field. We went along the top and then as we started to come down the third side to Buddy's horror there were about 50 metal detectionists going across the field next door which has been ploughed. didn't see them as the hedge hid them till we got close. Some of the devices started pinging, Buddy started pinging as well, so we headed across the stubble diagonally before he imploded.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy

newforest

Bring Out the Baileys
Mar 15, 2008
I didn't go for a hack I had a lesson.
But I reckon the straight lines I am meant to be riding are to be found in the countryside. :p

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I didn't go for a hack I had a lesson.
But I reckon the straight lines I am meant to be riding are to be found in the countryside. :p
Much more fun riding straight lines in the countryside :D :p

newforest

Bring Out the Baileys
Mar 15, 2008
We did polework which we both enjoy. She will take them at any angle though, so my job is to aim for the middle. :p

Reactions: Huggy

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I can't share pics as lost them on an old laptop, but have seen black bear, rattle snakes and elk while riding (obviously not in the UK), around here it's mostly just deer, the odd snake and the damn kamikaze squirrels and pheasants :p

• Wow
Reactions: newforest and Huggy

newforest

Bring Out the Baileys
Mar 15, 2008
I did take a photo but may put in her diary.
It really is so random when you take a horse out, that if you were walking with or without a friend or dog you really wouldn't notice the world around you so much!

It was a sunny day and I noticed vehicles parked in layby and in the grass verge. 'must be a party'
When one passed us with surf boards on that answered my question but not her suspicions.

Fast forward to a man getting a surf board off the van and then struggling in the said van with wetsuit- periodically sticking leg out and you have stopped the cob to look. ;)

Then we had two running towards us with surfboards looking like Batman and Robin and that's got her attention as well. You have to know the difference between her curious head up and her oh crap head up.

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I did take a photo but may put in her diary.
It really is so random when you take a horse out, that if you were walking with or without a friend or dog you really wouldn't notice the world around you so much!

It was a sunny day and I noticed vehicles parked in layby and in the grass verge. 'must be a party'
When one passed us with surf boards on that answered my question but not her suspicions.

Fast forward to a man getting a surf board off the van and then struggling in the said van with wetsuit- periodically sticking leg out and you have stopped the cob to look. ;)

Then we had two running towards us with surfboards looking like Batman and Robin and that's got her attention as well. You have to know the difference between her curious head up and her oh crap head up.
If Hogan and I had been met with all that, we'd have been in the south of France before he stopped!

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
A family member who is a canoe instructor once took us on a group canoeing trip near Inverness, for which we had to hire wetsuits. I was quite taken aback to find that in Scotland people don't bother to get into a car to change into or out of their wetsuits, they just do it at the roadside. We followed suit because we didn't want to appear different, a bit like wearing clothes on a nudist beach I suppose. I was a lot younger then mind, don't think I'd be so keen on bearing all these days. Now that would have been a sight to shock Tilley :p

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Well, I couldn't quite believe my eyes this morning, I went for a hack and saw three little egrets! Never seen them this far inland before and it was lovely to just stand and stare, we flushed them up from the stream that runs through our yard just as we were coming back, they flew off on to the water meadow so we stood and watched them for a while. I forgot photo's though, as usual.

• Love
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy