I went to watch dressage

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I must confess to getting bored very early on! I did watch the classes at my level.

What I found stood out straight away was not knowing their scores. On Interdressage you can watch the footage and see how it relates. I don't know if that's useful or not? But I am finding the footage of myself useful to me-now I have got used to seeing myself. I can replay and try and see what the judge saw. I had an "enthusiastic canter" Yep well the one before that took off!

My friend didn't see the three competitors before her, nor any of the ones after. She came 4th. I wouldn't make a judge as I just think it all looks fine, nice and ok!

There was a woman who felt some people shouldn't be in the lower classes, but you don't know why they are unless you ask. My reply to her was telling me only solves half your problem. In other words go away and contact an official or shut up ;)

I don't think I want to watch an actual show again, I did get bored and I don't actually go anywhere to compete as it not my thing. But ID is fun. :)

I used to go and watch but only because it was nice to see my RI and also it was when I was horseless so a good fix watching others.

I can't bear being at shows without my horse, it get crazy bored and itchy feet because I want to be in there :D
I do think it can be a good way to learn though, even better would be to go and scribe for a judge, you will learn tons about what they are looking at that way :)

I quite like watching and and pretty good at putting a score to a test now but it has taken years. I can now come out of a test and have a good idea where I will score as well.

As for people moving up a class it happen in all disciplines. People know they are great a say prelim and can get early 70's scores and win but know that if they move up a level there score might drop or fall out if the ribbons so they stay where they are. Same as show jumping and XC really you know you horse is fast and good at one height and stay there. They may train at home at a higher level.

You do also get the people that are starting to move from one level to another so will do one prelim and one novice for a year or so until they really crack the novice then will move up to two novice tests etc.To an outsider that only see the first prelim you would assume that they should move up a level.

My OH has been supporting me for years and he can now see a good test but for years he just did not get it.

I enjoy properly ridden dressage, a true partnership,harmony and understanding between horse and rider,I do not enjoy alot of what is seen sadly with over bent horses,not working through their backs,mouths strapped shut and foaming at the mouth,takes all the beauty out of it for me and I can't bear to watch it that way so I don't go to shows now.
When I go to the events with work I only watch the children from here and spend the rest of my time with the ponies at the lorry.

I quite enjoy watching them. Maybe there should be some kind of distinction between the riders, as it is a bit frustrating for novices when even the walk/trot class is full of really amazing riders trying out their youngsters or new horses. But then again, at any local show you have cobby happy hacker types competing against showy expensive warmbloods, and in some ways, that's actually part of their charm.

I see dressage as something to learn and improve your way of going.
Coming from someone who "hates" it :) I do recall having an instructor who nagged nagged nagged and I simply switched off. Moral, get an instructor who teaches you where you are and where you want to be.

I enjoy properly ridden dressage, a true partnership,harmony and understanding between horse and rider,I do not enjoy alot of what is seen sadly with over bent horses,not working through their backs,mouths strapped shut and foaming at the mouth,takes all the beauty out of it for me and I can't bear to watch it that way so I don't go to shows now.

I agree so much with this and sadly it is to be seen at all levels

I quite enjoy watching them. Maybe there should be some kind of distinction between the riders, as it is a bit frustrating for novices when even the walk/trot class is full of really amazing riders trying out their youngsters or new horses. But then again, at any local show you have cobby happy hacker types competing against showy expensive warmbloods, and in some ways, that's actually part of their charm.

We actually enjoy the baby progress part but do not go out to be competitive but to give the youngsters an education, we measure progress on all sort of things not rosettes. Our youngest ( just over four last raced October last year) did his first arena ODE last weekend, his second dressage test ( walk and trot) and his first course in public ( 20 jumps in total) We were more impressed by the fact that he behaved impeccably, even standing on his own on the lorry for the first time than anything. I am sure he would fall into your frustration but we have to start babies somewhere. I think to be honest we came near the bottom end but we more than met the object of the day for us!

I agree so much with this and sadly it is to be seen at all levels

We actually enjoy the baby progress part but do not go out to be competitive but to give the youngsters an education, we measure progress on all sort of things not rosettes. Our youngest ( just over four last raced October last year) did his first arena ODE last weekend, his second dressage test ( walk and trot) and his first course in public ( 20 jumps in total) We were more impressed by the fact that he behaved impeccably, even standing on his own on the lorry for the first time than anything. I am sure he would fall into your frustration but we have to start babies somewhere. I think to be honest we came near the bottom end but we more than met the object of the day for us!

Oh I am not frustrated by it personally - I've only competed in dressage once! But I know it's an issue with some riders. I don't think there's any way round it though, when at any show you have novices on very well trained and experienced horses, and excellent riders on youngsters. I guess the playing field sort of levels itself!

newrider.com