I will scream if another person tells me to be sensible

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I had to have my gallbladder out last week and before the surgery made as many changes as I could to our routine to cut down work post op.

This included leaving two fatties out 24/7 for the winter and not feeding them anything other than minerals twice a day. and the rest of the gang come in at night with 4 donkeys yarded and the two horses stabled only because one of them is trying to lose weight.

Had the op Thursday out Friday, fed the horse Saturday, muck out Sunday, well picked it up and put in skips but did no lifting. Rested over the weekend lots of sleeping to try to be ready for work Monday. Only walked dogs for first time Thursday as on Wednesday the daft one pulled OH over....I am over the anaesthetic, I am still a bit swollen, my back hurts like hell as the surgery buggered it up again, but session with osteo yesterday got it a bit straighter so reckoned I might as well start riding again.

Rode Buddy today for 30 minutes at walk. Felt fine, yes I am sore, but it stretched my back a bit and improved my posture. Before going in for the op I trained him to stand at the mounting block to let me get off as I reckoned that wold be the hardest thing to do.

When you have animals you can't just have a three week sickie and ignore them. I have done as little as possible, rested when I felt tired, and generally tried to pace myself.009.jpg001.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg

exactly, you remove as much of the risk as you can - when you see what happened to Tim Stockdale, you have to seize the opportunity while you can. My arthritis is a real bugger at times, but being active is the best thing for it even if it hurts a lot at times.

Too true about not being able to take sick leave, not when your animals are home. Lovely pics btw. Bet you are so glad the op is done and dusted too.

Sounds like you are being sensible to me!

Glad the operation went well & I hope your recovery continues to go well - lovely pictures as well :)

Just do what you feel you are capable of. When I busted and displaced all those ribs, I partially collapsed a lung and damaged my spleen and was hospitalised for 4 days. By the third week I was back poo picking and despite being told my ribs would take 9-10 months to heal, I was back in the saddle within 6 weeks.

i bust my ribs years ago when Rose cob dumped me on the south downs and we had to walk 8 miles home....they still grumble from time to time. Yesterday I walked the dogs 30 minutes, today 40 minutes, it's a case of gently getting back to what I was doing pre op.

I think the danger with any surgery where an incision is made in your abdominal wall is a) your abdominal muscles support your back and so you run more risk of hurting your back with a weakened abdominal core, and b) the deeper tissues behind the skin take longer to heal and there is a risk of popping a hernia through the weakened area. I only know this because I'm having surgery next year and asked my consultant about healing times. It's only laparoscopic, but it still applies. Having said that, I very much doubt that I will be able to follow the advice myself if I feel ok.

Hope you continue to feel better D&T, do you feel better in yourself for having had your gall bladder out, or does it take a while to feel the difference?

Sorry to thread hi jack but BODSHI where have you been?!!!!
Haha, not far but I've been busy with work. I have logged on here a few times to read posts but haven't had chance to reply, just working my way through now! Hopefully a quieter week next week then we're off on our holidays, so I'll be disappearing again. It's nice to be missed though, aw :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I think the danger with any surgery where an incision is made in your abdominal wall is a) your abdominal muscles support your back and so you run more risk of hurting your back with a weakened abdominal core, and b) the deeper tissues behind the skin take longer to heal and there is a risk of popping a hernia through the weakened area. I only know this because I'm having surgery next year and asked my consultant about healing times. It's only laparoscopic, but it still applies. Having said that, I very much doubt that I will be able to follow the advice myself if I feel ok.

Hope you continue to feel better D&T, do you feel better in yourself for having had your gall bladder out, or does it take a while to feel the difference?

the only reason I had it out was I have one gallstone and one a.n.other lump which needs to be identified, otherwise I had no symptoms whatsoever and was pretty upset to have to have it out to get a diagnosis as scans didn't show up whether it is just a polyp or more sinister. my surgeon was fairly laid back about what you can and can't do, first 2 weeks ideally desk work only, avoid lifting, which I am doing, and then another 4 weeks of getting better. When I asked him if I could ride in a week or so he wasn't concerned, just suggested it would be best not to fall off!

newrider.com