I wish I knew this years ago!

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
Probably already known by many but I admit to not knowing and wish I had so will share..........

I only realised recently that my dressage girth been using last few years is too short and has been bruising my poor mare to the point she was behaving terribly and being marish I thought just her and fresh until it all came to a head and with physio she was still wasnt right.

On advice I discovered my dressage girth was inches too short and should be as close to the bottom of the saddle cloth as possible (not what I was advised when buying my saddle grrr)!!

Having bought a professional choice smx in the correct length my girlie is a happy horse again with alot less rodeos :dance:

I know what you mean, my pony has never been happy with the dressage girth on his bareback pad and I am sure it's too short and bruises his elbows. I just must get him another one.

I'm glad you got it sorted!

She was always girthy and is sensitive to her tummy and lady bits lol but I cannot believe so long she has suffered like us wearing a tight belt in the wrong place!

Poor horse. Jut shows you what they put up with for us!

Hope you get your sorted too!

If your treeless you would have discovered it slipped and resolved, been there done that. Your not the only one though who has used it too short, its common.

NF is right on treeless - if they aren't up by the pads they do slip alarmingly!!!

Am not sure why this isn't made more common knowledge really.

I bought what was recommended for her in a top saddlery when bought my made to fit expensive saddle so very annoyed I find years down the line my marish mare is not so and is actually very forgiving.

In 4 years not one expert in any field has given me this reason for her girthiness or her soreness in that area as it is a common area for pain and tension but still no one even said are you sure its not too short as many people ride with their dressage girth too short!! :frown:

Very disappointing really :cry:

None of my TBs like dressage saddles, they do everything in a show/WH saddle so not had this problem

I think the girthing arrangement puts pressure at a strange place hence many of the dressage people needing sheep under the girth!!

Haha I used a sheep until realised 4 inches too short hence why the sheep was having little effect.

She is grand in new girth. Dont need to tighten as much either cos of clingy material, nonslip, wicks sweat away, stops rubbing and pinching, distributes pressure and soft spongy etc.

She moves freer and is more forward with less coiled bouncing and then bolting with rodeos bless her. She was starting to resist being led to mounting block and being mounted and when I went to tighten it at all she nearly had a meltdown making such awful noises.

She is a verbal horse with her own famous personality so it was hard to know not just being a madam and fresh. So glad I listened to my gut telling me just not her and something wrong and not to others saying ride on and give her a whack etc :unsure:

Probably already known by many but I admit to not knowing and wish I had so will share..........

I only realised recently that my dressage girth been using last few years is too short and has been bruising my poor mare to the point she was behaving terribly and being marish I thought just her and fresh until it all came to a head and with physio she was still wasnt right.

On advice I discovered my dressage girth was inches too short and should be as close to the bottom of the saddle cloth as possible (not what I was advised when buying my saddle grrr)!!

Having bought a professional choice smx in the correct length my girlie is a happy horse again with alot less rodeos :dance:

Could you please explain what you mean by "as close to the bottom of the saddle cloth"? I'm not understanding but am very curious as I ride in a dressage saddle and girth. Would hate to think I've been causing pain/harm :frown:

Last edited:

Could you please explain what you mean by "as close to the bottom of the saddle cloth"? I'm not understanding but am very curious as I ride in a dressage saddle and girth. Would hate to think I've been causing pain/harm :frown:

Ok will try........

The top of your girth basically should be as close to the bottom of your saddle cloth as possible - fairfax girth expert said this in magazine.

My trainer friend in eng who trained olympic dressage horses in spain, germany etc told me it should be 2 inches from top of girth buckle to bottom of saddle flap on a dressage saddle. She is the one who rec professional choice smx to suit thin skinned type and not expensive like fairfax.

Also obviously even distance on both sides and buckled evenly with elastic on both sides to spread pressure and not overtighten as many do as dressage girths dont need as tight as gp girths.

re the over-tightening issue, what should I do with a round bodied cob? If I don't do it up tight, the saddle slips when I mount.
Okay, I had better admit to being on the heavy side :redface:, and I do use a mounting block, bit I hate having to do the girth up so tight.

re the over-tightening issue, what should I do with a round bodied cob? If I don't do it up tight, the saddle slips when I mount.
Okay, I had better admit to being on the heavy side :redface:, and I do use a mounting block, bit I hate having to do the girth up so tight.

Get the saddle fitter in.

My half Percheron is beyond wide and I used to have the same issues. I got a better fitting saddle and a 'humane girth' http://www.rideaway.co.uk/aerborn-h...purenet_feed&gclid=CJ-B4c2rkrYCFW_KtAodZBQAmA , now I can just do the girth to comfortable tightness and saddle no longer slips:smile:

Agree with saddle fitter. Can be hard on certain shapes but with proper fitter and good girth shouldnt need to over tighten as I never did until issue all began and am not now anymore.

Lots of good girths out there but shocked at how few stocked in saddleries so got mine online. I have my saddles checked every year.

Well you learn something every day.

I read what you have said and then googled dressage pictures and they all show the girth going up to just below the saddle cloth.

Will be changing Chanters girth tomorrow. poor boy

Thanks for the advice, Ginger is in a GP so at least I know he is OK

Glad to have helped someone else avoid finding out the hard way. Its mad how I see this now in pics too but never knew as told to buy this length and you trust the experts dont ya...........

I fit cobs and natives as a speciality and so often once I have fitted a better fitting saddle the girth can be loosened. It also needs to tbe the right girth (as well as right saddle!) with strong elastic at both ends. Also lean across and hold the offside stirrup leather as you mount.

I always recommend the longest short girth possible, and the shortest long girth possible, it can make a big difference. Very short dressage girths are on the most sensitive muscles as well as impacting buckles on elbows.

I have SN at filled girth for mine, tried the shaped and she hated it. She is very sensitive around these muscles.

Get the saddle fitter in.

My half Percheron is beyond wide and I used to have the same issues. I got a better fitting saddle and a 'humane girth' http://www.rideaway.co.uk/aerborn-h...purenet_feed&gclid=CJ-B4c2rkrYCFW_KtAodZBQAmA , now I can just do the girth to comfortable tightness and saddle no longer slips:smile:

Saddle has been fitted, and widened and has adjustable billets.(Wintec Aussie Stock saddle). It's just my weight :redface: Once I'm on, it all seems fine.
That girth is interesting with the wicking material. Will do some research. :smile:

newrider.com