I wonder what spooked them

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
Very little spooks my ponies. Their fields adjoin a road leading to a busy working pier, so they are used to all sorts of traffic, including heavy lorries, quad bikes, forklifts etc, and the clatter of boats loading and unloading. They didn’t turn a hair when a helicopter brought loads of smolts in what looked like huge buckets from the hatchery to be loaded. They even stand and watch the village fireworks on Bonfire Night. But last night something really scared them. I heard them first, just after I had gone to bed, snorting, wide-eyed and galloping round and round. They raced from one part of the field to another, and back several times. They do have games running and bucking sometimes, but this was different, much more like panic. My OH, who was still dressed, went out and could find nothing out of the ordinary (it is still light here until after 11). The chickens were all asleep in their shed, so whatever it was had not disturbed them. I had heard nothing out of the ordinary until the snorting started. Any ideas on what could have set them off?

• Wow
Reactions: Huggy
Dragons breath mist? I know ours can be a bit eyes on stalks in that. Honestly don't know. Sometimes I can't decide whether it's nice hearing them calumping around at night - and other times ignorance is bliss!

Reactions: Sparky Lily
I had a similar thing the other day. I was bringing in Ben first thing, about 6am and we were walking down the lane as happy as anything. Then all of a sudden he started spinning and spooking, I actually thought I was going to lose him. None of the other horses in the field next to us were disturbed and I didn't have a clue what had upset him. Horses are daft sometimes!

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Indeed they are daft sometimes. I can tell now when Storm's about to have a "moment" as she can one moment be happily munching, next head will shoot up and her whole body will go still and rigid. Then the next few seconds - she'll either explode or go back to eating. Day before yesterday she had such a moment when we were out in hand grazing and walking. It was the evil contraption in the field across the road (tractor with a bucket on the front) that wasn't there before. Honestly, she never does get used to stuff. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Bodshi and Huggy
newrider.com