Ice boots/heat boots

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Need a little advice.
Can you tell me about them. Know nothing. Cost. Are they abit like travel boots, that velcro on. How tall are they. I think @Trewsers you ice dont you.

Recommendations please. This is for a cow that is extremely lame on her front leg. Looks like its at the knee area. No swelling, but a small amount of heat. Just about weight bearing but not able to bend the leg. Would the ice bit be able to go on the knee joint or is it more for below the knee. Would i be better to use a pack of peas and to tie round with a towel or leg wraps for use at the knee. If it was a back leg i wouldnt even entertain the idea but as its a front might have to try. Shes been lame for about 4 days now. No change. Got her in yesterday as she wasnt managing in the field. Dont think shed been for a drink. So on box rest. Massaged today but wondering about ice treatment.

Ive got some brand new fleece leg wraps for the horse never used. Think they velcro. Maybe i could use those over some peas. Who was it bandaging the other week for an injury. Someone said it but cant remember which way now. Start at bottom and go up or the other way.

Icing knees is a pain, I ended up using a human neoprene knee brace over a gel ice pack when Jess’s knee was fat. It sort of worked, but the ice packs would fly out if she had a silly fit.
I found equi-n-ice quite useful on the tubigrip type things they sell, because there’s no weight to hold up.

I use Shires ice boots (the old version ) and have some Equilibrium packs too that are smaller and can go inside her magnetic wraps as an alternative. I think you could try and use some Velcro wraps that you have with something from the freezer just as well. Peas might be bulky? Could you take some out and make a flatter easier to wrap pack? Maybe use a small freezer bag with them inside and bind on with your wraps? Storms leg wraps are used lower down but even they do slip a bit if she moves around whilst wearing them - even inside. Joints seem tricky to do because of the movement however small. Lots of vibes for your cow.

I’ll try and find a link to the ones I have but I know there’s an updated version now. I seem to think they were about £45 but that’s about 7 years ago so probably gone up a bit.image.jpgimage.jpg
Second pic shows inside and you just place the frozen inserts onto the Velcro provided. (Mine are in the freezer right now) but you get the idea. Equilbrium ones are a similar idea though they are interchangeable with the magnets I have. They are about ten inches high.

I’ve seen people use those cheap ice pop/lolly things that come in plastic strips in lieu of proper ice boots, I’ve used a soft wine bottle cooler in a pinch 😁

newrider.com