Ideal Livery Yard

COSMICEXCHANGE

Feb 14, 2003
Lancashire
Visit site
After starting to work full time, I have had to move my horse to a full livery yard as I haven't the time! 3 children,husband etc.... Anyway I am not happy with the level of service I am recieving is there anyone out there in the lancashire area/preston that can reccomend a full livery yard with full facilities. If not I am going to have to sell her because its not fair on the horse if she does't get out everyday as specified.
Advice Welcome
Diane

If the yard specified that part of the livery provided was out , as in turn out / exercise than you need to talk to the owners and ask why they are not fulfilling their livery specification. If necessary make a real fuss. You are paying, probably a lot of money if your horse is on full livery and that should include total care with turnout and exercise.Your horse should also be prepared for you when you want to go riding, and taken from you when you come back from your ride - total care. L

Thanks for that!
i think when I go up tomorrow I will ask the question. I think because I have this guilt because these are the tasks I used to quite happily carry out myself, I am not being as assertive as I should to ensure the livery yard carries out these tasks. Maybe I feel I should be doing it!! do you know what i Mean?
I felt happier when I was on DIY and doing everything for her.
Diane

Yes, its hard to let go and allow someone else do everything for your horse. BUT you HAVE entrusted your horse into their care and therefore have the right to expect a 100% commitment on their part. Nothing to feel quilty about as these are your present circumstances and you are trying to do the best for your horse. If necessary stomp about, they'll respect you for it and will ensure your horse recieves the best attention. I keep my horse on full livery so I know where you are coming from. Be brave. L

I had one of mine on full livery some years ago. I was very naive, never having done it before.

I was paying for him to be exercised a couple of times during the week, but I always found my tack exactly as I'd left it. At first they said they always cleaned it after use - good service, I thought! - but then I started leaving the stirrups on odd holes, and guess what!

I also didn't realise how little turnout he got in the winter. He was lovely and fresh when I rode out, but then I discovered he was only going out for an hour or so a day while the boxes were done.

Bedding was skimped on; feed was sufficient but a bit hit and miss - they all got the same, but it was mixed up in a big tub and just dished out from there, so if it wasn't well mixed some would get more chaff and others would get more mix. I had no control over what he was given.

Worming was also a bit suspect; I took my own wormer along when I moved in, but found it in the cupboard several months later - they said they'd wormed him with the same as the others, but of course being suspicious about other things made me wonder if he really was being wormed as well.

I learned about some of these things when a friend started working at the stables part time, but by that time I'd moved my horse to DIY anyway.

I'm sure not all livery yards are up to dodgy practices, but you really do need to make sure you find out what's going on, call in at odd times when you aren't expected and generally don't take anything for granted until you're sure it's all above board.

newrider.com